View Mode: Toggle reproducibly breakable?

StudioQ1

Hey everyone! 

I discovered this possible quirk or possible bug i cant tell when trying to improve my workflow with multi region midi editing. 

with the 'View Mode: Toggle' keyboard shortcut I'm having an issue. 

1. have notes on two regions on two separate midi tracks

2. its best to set view - set note color - by region color for this example but it isnt necessary. 

3. shift click the regions on both tracks.

4. you will see two different regions of midi data 

5. double click a note 

** you will now see one track viewed. the track in which you just double clicked a midi note on. 

*this is similar to if you were to use the keyboard shortcut for one track in the piano roll view menu however problems occur as said below

** notice how in the piano roll view menu you will see it shows selected regions is set to be displayed even though only one region is displayed because of the double click on the note. 

6. Press the Keyboard shortcut for view mode: toggle. this needs to be bound to reproduce this bug as the view menu is either bugged or this isn't intended. 

** notice how nothing happens when you press it once but if you check the view settings in the piano roll it did toggle. 

7. Double Click empty space in the piano roll

8. Notice how the region in which is not viewed is unselected in the piano roll

Problem: This is not wanted at least for me. If I double click a note for a one track view it should function the same as one track view key command that way if i double click blank space or use the keyboard shortcut its the same workflow. maybe this is something some people want though?

Observation: If you repeat the process. at step 6 if you change it to: 

6. Press the Keyboard shortcut TWICE for view mode: toggle. 

this makes it so when you double click the white space you go back to seeing both regions and don't unselect a region. 

Hi StudioQ1,

On 12/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, StudioQ1 said:

5. double click a note 

** you will now see one track viewed. the track in which you just double clicked a midi note on. 

Actually what you see by double-clicking the note is the contents of that region. At this point you are at a different level ("inside" the region), so the Toggle View Mode command will toggle between One Track and Selected Regions, but you actually won't see anything happen until you go "outside" the region by double-clicking the background of the Piano Roll.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, StudioQ1 said:

If I double click a note for a one track view it should function the same as one track view key command that way if i double click blank space or use the keyboard shortcut its the same workflow. maybe this is something some people want though?

Again, double-clicking a note takes you inside that note's region, so it will not behave the same as selecting One Track view when you are one level down (in other words, when you are "outside" the region).

Once you are outside the region by double-clicking the background of the Piano Roll, what you will see is whichever view is selected under your View menu at that given moment (either One Track or Selected Regions).

It is easier to see how this works when you have more than one region on each track.

J.

• Like 1