Logic 10.8.1 Horizontal Scroll w/Thumb Wheel Going Bananas Too Fast

damusicman29

On the new update finally. I noticed that the thumb wheel horizontal scroll behaves so irradically now. A little tiny scroll makes it scroll too hard/fast/far. I'm on an MX Master 3 mouse (Logitech; the non-high DPI/non-quiet click version, so in other words, NOT the 3S, just the one before it), so I use the horizontal scroll religiously since I'm on a Mac Pro desktop (in other words, I don't use a trackpad).
I've made sure Logi Options is updated.
I've also tinkered with Mouse Scroll strength/speed and the only way I can get Logic to act as it has before is to literally set the horizontal mouse scroll setting to its bare minimum, which is SOOOOOPER slow in other apps. 

Anyone else? Is there an option I'm missing? Thank you!

11 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Do you have access to a regular 'ol 2-button mouse/scrollwheel mouse?
If so, is the mouse behaviour different?

I don't have a mouse like that at the moment, but I'll have to try it; maybe I can snag a really cheap one and see if it behaves the same. Should I try a single vertical scroll and just hold the shift button for horizontal scrolling while I use the vertical scroll? I'm trying that now (shift+vertical scroll and the behavior is normal). And when I say normal, I mean, it's stopping and starting right where it needs to. When I use the thumbwheel, it'll work like 40% of the time, and then the other 60% of the time, it will randomly choose to just dart around and jump forward or backwards too quickly, which sends my screen into oblivion, especially if I'm zoomed in haha. 

Edited by damusicman29

4 hours ago, damusicman29 said:

When I use the thumbwheel, it'll work like 40% of the time, and then the other 60% of the time, it will randomly choose to just dart around and jump forward or backwards too quickly, which sends my screen into oblivion, especially if I'm zoomed in haha. 

My understanding of the Logitech software - on Windows, not Mac - is that there are a few settings that may help (if available on the Mac):
- ratchet vs smooth scrolling
- smart shift (set this mostly to the right)
- scroll wheel resolution

Also look at the Scrolling Speed setting in the MacOS Mouse/Trackpad Prefs....and adjust this down.
The system-based settings also have an impact on behaviour, not only the Logitech-supplied software.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oscwilde said:

My understanding of the Logitech software - on Windows, not Mac - is that there are a few settings that may help (if available on the Mac):
- ratchet vs smooth scrolling
- smart shift (set this mostly to the right)
- scroll wheel resolution

Also look at the Scrolling Speed setting in the MacOS Mouse/Trackpad Prefs....and adjust this down.
The system-based settings also have an impact on behaviour, not only the Logitech-supplied software.

Alrighty so I tried all your suggestions to no avail.
I've also learned some things:
- This isn't an LPX issue since it's happening elsewhere to me
- The macOS system mouse settings don't work as a fix
- Logi Options needs to be on the "plus" version (their latest version of the software), which seems to have made it wayyy better, though it still has a smooth decay rather than a snap when I stop side-scrolling. However, at least it's not on zoomies anymore, acclerating for no reason lol.
- Lastly, it seems that Logi Options takes over the "Inertia" option that is supposed to be available in System Preferences (but right now it's missing; the only option when searching for "Inertia" in Mouse Settings is the "scroll speed"). 

Anyway, thanks so much for the help!!! 

Edited by damusicman29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oscwilde said:

Might be worth looking at 3rd-party options (which Logi should really be providing....but I digress), like this: https://www.usboverdrive.com/index.php/download/

Yup, completely agree. Thank you my friend. I also think I'm going to raise this with Logitech and see if they can allow those settings to not override Mac's systems like that, lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Experiencing same issue, very annoying now with the update. It behaves now like it has for a while In Final Cut, you do kind of get used to it but it's not a good thing at all. It's odd that vertical scroll has not changed, still no inertia. I hate it and wish there was a proper option to customise this.

Also I think it's really odd that if you hold shift and vertical scroll it behaves as expected. What is it with the horizontal scroll wheel specifically and these Apple apps? Can also confirm the inertial horizontal scroll isn't with Pro Tools 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elita said:

Also I think it's really odd that if you hold shift and vertical scroll it behaves as expected. What is it with the horizontal scroll wheel specifically and these Apple apps? Can also confirm the inertial horizontal scroll isn't with Pro Tools 

Yep exactly! WHY does it behave how we want with shift+vertical scroll!?!?! 

Another UPDATE:
I managed to get a rep at Apple's Logic team to respond to my issue with this. I made him a video of the issue, but I haven't heard anything back yet regarding this particular problem. If I do, I'll update the group! 

Basically, told them what I said here: the weird inertia/slow-down that the side scrolling does in LPX is infuriating, when we know that shift+vertical scrolling gives us the desired result.

I've been working with it for the past couple weeks but it's still irritating. I don't know if I'll ever get over it haha.