Export MIDI Manipulation to another Audio and MIDI Track

Lior
Go to solution Solved by Dewdman42,

Hi,

I have a MIDI track playing some chord progression, and a midi device on it that playing the Arp (Xfer Cathulu), can i export the MIDI notes to another MIDI track ?

If i am adding a gate instead of Arp , can i also export the "gated" midi to a MIDI track ?

Can i also record the Audio of that MIDI track to another Audio Track ? (Resampling on Ableton)

Thanks 🙂

Hi Lior,

11 minutes ago, Lior said:

I have a MIDI track playing some chord progression, and a midi device on it that playing the Arp (Xfer Cathulu), can i export the MIDI notes to another MIDI track ?

The easiest is to use the Record MIDI to Track Here feature.

12 minutes ago, Lior said:

Can i also record the Audio of that MIDI track to another Audio Track ? (Resampling on Ableton)

Yes, the easiest is to simply Bounce in Place.

J.

• Like 1

Hi Lior,

You're welcome.

11 minutes ago, Lior said:

i tried the option "record MIDI to track here" but nothing happened i played the loop and stopped.

but no new MIDI track created with Arppigated  notes

You need to be in Record mode and sending live MIDI input to your track (not from a region). The feature needs to be enabled in the slot below all MIDI FX whose output you want to record.

Otherwise if you already have a MIDI region, you can use IAC to send the MIDI out and back into Logic.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

The record here function only records what is coming from midi input before the sequencer.  The naming if that feature is poor.  They should have called it something along the lines of taking all midifx above the red line and processing them on input prior to being recorded as midi to the region of that same track.

It’s an instrument track so you won’t be recording audio there, you would simply be recording the Cthulhu midi output AS YOU ARE PLAYING IT IN, to the region and the midi would continue through the rest of the midifx below that line and into the Inst and you would hear the Inst audio, but that would not be recorded .

its not clear exactly to me what you are hoping to achieve, but as Jordi said that is the easiest way to record the output of Cthulhu

• Like 1

I am new to Logic and al this Buses thing is still new to me and I need to learn it.

I am not sure what is IAC but from the video @Jordi Torres shared it seems he understood what I want to achieve.

Basically, I have a midi region and I added cathulu on it.

I want the arp notes that cathulu played from that midi region to be recorded to another midi track.

regard Audio, I asked how can I record the audio output of the midi track to another new Audio track ?

Thank you Jordi and Dewdman42

• Like 1

Hi Lior,

48 minutes ago, Lior said:

I am new to Logic and al this Buses thing is still new to me and I need to learn it.

I am not sure what is IAC but from the video @Jordi Torres shared it seems he understood what I want to achieve.

Ok no problem. You need to enable IAC in Audio MIDI Setup in macOS. More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-bw/guide/audio-midi-setup/ams1013/mac

IAC will allow you to output MIDI from Logic and loop it back into Logic.

52 minutes ago, Lior said:

regard Audio, I asked how can I record the audio output of the midi track to another new Audio track ?

Sounds like you are dealing with a software instrument track (takes MIDI input and outputs audio). Those you can Bounce in Place. It's the easiest/quickest way. Otherwise you can route the audio output of the software instrument channel strip via a bus to the input of an audio track and record it in real time.

J.

• Like 1

• Solution

another very convenient way to deal with this is to purchase the inexpensive 3rd party plugin called MidiFXFreeze.  You just put that in the track as a midi plugin after Cthulhu and then play through, it will capture the rendered midi into itself...and then you can drag and drop that to a region in LogicPro, rather then fiddling around with IAC.

The IAC loop around will work and its free to do, but if you're not careful you may end up with a midi feedback loop in the enviornment, so you have to kind of be aware of that when doing it that way, and also, the rendered midi will not be sample accurate if you care about that.

• Like 2

Thanks Jordi 

i need to check it out on weekend and will see.

Thanks Dewdman42

do you know if Midi FX Freeze will do the same job even after Gate ?
i.e , can i play chord progression and add gatekeeper on top of it then export the Gated Midi notes ?

Sounds very worthy 6$

• 3 months later...

(I hope it's ok to ask this here in an older thread.)

I've read on this forum that Logic "recently" got a Virtual In/Out MIDI Port and while I have them, I can't get it to work.

I've exactly the setup quoted below, but with the MIDI Destination set to "Logic Pro Virtual Out". The other track does not receive any MIDI In though. Anything I'm missing here? (Thought that could be a a simpler way than setting up a IAC bus (not that it would be that complicated).

@Dewdman42 : it seems you have a good understanding about this topic (I saw you also on other forums). I wouldn't mind to buy MIDIFXFreeze, but for me it looks a bit "outdated" and I don't know if it will keep up with updates. Sure it would be "good to know" that it is sample accurate, but how much of an actual problem would it be on the modulated MIDI recording? Like how much off to the right are the notes? I also thought with the internal virtual port it "maybe" could work sample accurate, because it does not rely on a IAC bus? (This is just an uneducated guess from my side though.)

Feel free to correct me if anything I said or assume is wrong. Haven't really been into the whole MIDI related topics yet. Thank you!

On 12/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Like so:

RegionIACRecordMIDITrackHere.thumb.gif.ad85f999edd54563909d35dea8d8d3f0.gif

J.

7 hours ago, AXXENTS said:

I've exactly the setup quoted below, but with the MIDI Destination set to "Logic Pro Virtual Out". The other track does not receive any MIDI In though. Anything I'm missing here? (Thought that could be a a simpler way than setting up a IAC bus (not that it would be that complicated).

The recently-added Logic Pro Virtual In/Out are not adequate for looping back data into Logic. Unlike IAC, if you send MIDI out the Logic Pro Virtual Out port, it won't be looped back via the Logic Pro Virtual In.

J.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

The recently-added Logic Pro Virtual In/Out are not adequate for looping back data into Logic. Unlike IAC, if you send MIDI out the Logic Pro Virtual Out port, it won't be looped back via the Logic Pro Virtual In.

J.

what is the recently added feature you are talking about, I have not heard about that?

3 hours ago, AXXENTS said:

Ok thank you! @Jordi Torres

I guess for now the only options are IAC/MIDIFXFreeze then. As MIDIFXFreeze seems a bit outdated (for me) and I couldn't find a similar alternative, I'll stick to IAC. I hope the sample accuracy isn't a big deal.

honestly MidiFXFreeze is the best way and I would not call it "out dated".  But yea if you don't care about sample accuracy, ,then IAC loopback works fine, and honestly, most people won't notice as the delay is probably something like within 1ms or less depending on your buffer size.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 1:29 AM, Dewdman42 said:

thanks.  Strange that they added that when IAC is already there.  Not sure why they would bother with that, but thanks for the heads up about it

I can think of few reasons:

- There is no need to enable anything in Audio MIDI Setup, so it's slightly more accessible to new users

- It's impossible to make MIDI feedback, so Virtual In and Out ports are better option if you only want one-directional MIDI

- It is sometimes useful to have multiple virtual MIDI ports

- Logic on iPad has Virtual In and Out, but there is no IAC on iPadOS. I guess they share a lot of code between the two versions and what to keep the features as similar as possible

• Like 1