best practices for reducing performance sluggishness? (M2 Ultra computer)

D.D. Jackson

I'm surprised at how sluggish Logic is operating with my new M2 Ultra computer (128 GB ram) so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing "best practices" to reduce the feeling of latency in overall operation (where it takes a noticeable pause to perform most things, etc.).

Here's what I've tried: 

- currently working in Rosetta as that seemed to initially speed things up (even though my program and therefore all my plugins seemed to operate without it, just more slowly)

- I've tried both reducing and increasing the I/O Buffer Size and still can't assess which is better/worse

- ditto for Process Buffer Range (I've read for some it's better set to "Small" to reduce sluggishness but I'm not yet sure)

- Processing Threads: set to "Automatic"

What else, if anything, might I try?

Thanks for any further suggestions!

D.D.

I'd work natively, unless you have third-party plugins that are problematic in Logic in that more, and/or you need ARA.

IO buffer size on Apple silicon performs better when low, so I generally stick with 64, or sometimes 32 if I need the lowest realtime performance.

I always leave the process buffer range at medium and never need to change it.

Processing threads I recommend setting to the number of performance cores your machine has, and don't include the efficiency cores.

• Like 1

This on top of what Fisherking said:

I find Logic to be buttery smooth on my M1 Air running natively. It's just a joy. Running under rosetta slows things a bit. Zooming on the main page and other things are just not as fluid. I personally don't use any plugin anymore that is not Apple Silicon ready. Your machine is a beast compared to my laptop so everything should be lightning fast. If you can live without a non native plugin, that is the culprit, then ditch it.