Adjust MIDI performance similar to beat mapping

Danny Wyatt
Go to solution Solved by Danny Wyatt,

Disclaimer: I'm still on 10.6.3, so the "Free Recording" button is not available (or at least I don't see it in the Custom Control Bar window).

So what I want to do is this:

Record a MIDI track without the metronome. Then create some kind of beat mapping to create different tempo changes to adjust the project's tempo to my performance. Once that's done, convert all those changes to a single tempo.

For example if I play faster or slower here and there, I don't just want the project's tempo to adjust, I then want those sections to be at the same speed as everything else, unlike when we use beat mapping for audio.

Quantize won't be an option, because I won't have any metronome playing. So if my project's tempo is at 120 and my song is 75, quantize won't help and it would be a headache to adjust everything manually.

Is this possible?

Edited by Danny Wyatt

• Solution

EDIT: Never mind, I saw that this is actually possible using the Beat Mapping lane as well. Wasn't aware of that. That's awesome! Logic never ceases to amaze me (when it doesn't get on my nerves haha)

By accident I noticed that once everything is mapped, if I delete all tempo changes, the MIDI is already fixed. For example I had this with HUGE tempo changes on purpose:

image.png.e9ff359d1106728a6bdf6e87cfdb9318.png

Then I just deleted the tempo changes and the MIDI played in sync, no matter what tempo I had:

image.png.d0f90628f3134145d6ba708f0823564a.png

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1