Logic Pro X With TouchOSC - OSC only

I have been struggling with TouchOSC as a controller.  Much detailed research, many videos and a post on Reddit later (look up "TouchOSC for REAL Dummies" on Reddit if interested),  I can now connect TouchOSC on my iPad, and do the MIDI thing OK....MIDI is not a problem.  This has taken about a week.

I do want to be able to use OSC as I think I can do more things and achieve finer control with it in Logic.  I have studied all of Tim Corpus's videos on connecting up TouchOSC with Logic, and have studied the LogicPad template.  His videos are very good (the best I have found so far) but somewhere along the line there is usually a "...then a miracle occurs..." moment where it all works as intended, which leaves just a small but crucial detail unexplained. 

This morning I recreated his lesson in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJ-kephjMY  I followed it faithfully and in detail, it step by step.  I had partial success.  The idea was to set up two faders with labels, one on a subpage, and control two different track volumes in Logic.  Pretty simple.  I was able to move some faders in the end, BUT the wrong faders. Somehow my newly created project had set up a preview channel strip and this was one of the faders that moved.  Another of the faders that was supposed to move did not.   Logic was interpreting /fader1 as the second (Preview) channel strip.  I could not delete the preview channel strip and ended up with a project that did not behave as Tim's did.  This is what the mixer looked like.  The faders should have addressed the Audio 1 and Inst 2 strip, but instead addressed the Preview and Inst 1 strips.

Screenshot2024-01-01at3_25_58pm.thumb.png.97780b4d910253fd4b94978bbefdc1d1.png

QUESTION 1
So I have Logic and TouchOSC talking to each other, then the darn Preview  strip gets in the way.    WTF?

QUESTION 2
The problem I am having is deeper than this though.  It seems that somehow Tim is accessing prenamed OSC Controller Assignments, and that these must be somehow connected to the correct fader or knob within Logic, but I can for the life of me see how this connection occurs.  What if there is not even an object in the list of controllers for what I want to do?  What if I want to control, for example, the gain knob in a gain plugin that I have put on a channel strip - how to I tell Logic about this, and what do I put in the Controller assignment?  In fact that is exactly what I want to do - exert fine control over a utility gain knob while mixing to write basic automation of volume.  I have realised I have no idea how to do this, and that until I do I cannot use OSC with Logic.

Any insight would be great appreciated.

(P.S I just realised my profile has disappeared - I will go now and update it)

Hi amusong,

On 1/1/2024 at 6:02 AM, amusong said:

QUESTION 1
So I have Logic and TouchOSC talking to each other, then the darn Preview  strip gets in the way.    WTF?

Set the view in your Mixer to "Tracks" instead of "All"?

QUESTION 2
The problem I am having is deeper than this though.  It seems that somehow Tim is accessing prenamed OSC Controller Assignments, and that these must be somehow connected to the correct fader or knob within Logic, but I can for the life of me see how this connection occurs. 

All those assignments come from the TouchOSC MIDI Device Plug-In (TouchOSC.bundle) that's built into Logic (/Applications/Logic Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/MIDI Device Plug-ins/). You can Ctrl-click the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Contents then follow the path if your curious. This MIDI Device Plug-in includes pre-made configurations for both the LogicPad and LogicTouch TouchOSC layouts, and is what allow TouchOSC to be used as a Control Surface for Logic.

This is clearly the fruit of close collaboration between Apple and Hexler, otherwise that MIDI Device Plug-in wouldn't be shipped with Logic.

What if there is not even an object in the list of controllers for what I want to do?  What if I want to control, for example, the gain knob in a gain plugin that I have put on a channel strip - how to I tell Logic about this, and what do I put in the Controller assignment?

Fortunately that's something you could already achieve "out-of-the-box" with the TouchOSC LogicPad and LogicTouch TouchOSC layouts. Right now I only have an iPhone at hand, so this is how that looks with the LogicTouch layout (all I need to do is go to the FX tab, go to the slot where the Gain plugin sits and its parameters become available):

Screenshot2024-01-02at11_26_56.thumb.png.30485fcd5a58fda442a4926639c4525a.png

Of course, I need to have a Gain plugin loaded in the channel strip in question.

And this is how it looks in Logic's Controller Assignments (again, "out-of-the-box"):

LogicTouchLayoutGainPlugin.thumb.gif.4304e252cf86a7e2d7c7e8cf7345c95c.gif

J.

• Like 1