Is there a way to combine 2 session's global track data (tempo, markers, time sigs) into one session

MattG1996
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hi all,

I would LOVE it if someone had a fix for this. I have two separate sessions that I'm trying to combine for a live project. Both have completely different tempo, signature and marker tracks and I want to put them in the same session (with a some silence / timeline space in between).

My plan was to import the global track data (markers, tempo and meter) from one of them into the other WITHOUT replacing the current global track info in the destination session. I want to maintain both and just import the other session data at a later point in the destination session.

I go to import > logic projects > choose the relevant project > select only the marker tracks, tempo and signature in global but then 'Add' is greyed out and I only have the option for 'Replace', which gets rid of all the global track info that I need in other sections of the project.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Matt

--

OS 12.6 (Monterey)

Logic pro - 10.7.9

MBP 2021 M1

• Solution

Hi @MattG1996,

You can try the following:

1. Create an empty project (let's call it "Main") and import (replace) the global data from the first project
  2. Disable (uncheck) Core Audio in Logic Pro menu > Settings > Audio > Devices and close the window (this will automatically apply the change, so no need to click "Apply")
  3. Open the second project (without closing the Main one).
  4. Set the locators so that all tempo changes, markers, etc. are covered by the range
  5. Invoke the Copy Section Between Locators (Global) command (you will have to assign a keyboard shortcut as there is none by default, and this is callable via key command only)
  6. Switch to the Main project (for example via the Window menu)
  7. Place the playhead at the location you want to paste what you just copied, then invoke the Insert Section at Playhead (Global) (like the other command, only available via key command)
  8. If you get a dialog asking whether you want to add a time signature to preserve subsequent time signatures, just click "Don't Add".
  9. At this point if everything looks fine, you may re-enable Core Audio in Logic's Audio Device Settings and save.

Hope that helps,

J.

Thanks Jordi! This works :) 

I also found another way, which was just to export one of the sections as a midi file and importing that into the other session (but of course that wouldn't be a solution if you also wanted to bring over audio, sends etc. - so your solution will probably still be very useful for others!)

• Like 1