Using an external bootable drive to run Logic Pro?

Go to solution Solved by rAC,

Hi,

I'm using a 2017 Mac with Mojave on it.I had lots of issues trying to upgrade the OS so I did not want to take a risk & got back to Mojave.I was wondering if I can use Ventura on a bootable drive & run logic from there with the latest version.I also plan to install all other plugins on it.Let me know if this would be a good plan & how to go about it.Thanks

Edited by JCcares
spelling error

• Solution

I have not done it with Ventura but have done it with prior OS’s on a iMac Pro from 2017. Make sure you have a solid backup before you start.

1. Create your bootable external drive.

2. Boot from it and then check you can select and boot from your internal drive again (possibly not necessary). Boot from the external drive.

3. Run the installer making sure to select the drive you’ve booted from to be the destination. When it’s finished and you’ve rebooted into it, change back to your Mojave system as the startup disc and check it still boots.

HTH

Yes it does. Thanks for the link. About a couple years back I tried to install Catalina & Big Sur but couldn’t get through with the install. Apple support told me to bring the computer to a store to get it checked.So I gave up on upgrading & stayed on with the same OS.

1. Keep your Mojave installation as indicated by rAC. This is very important for maintaining your workflow.

2. Check that your external disk is formatted correctly: APFS.

3. Create your Ventura installer on to an external thumb drive. Boot to your installer on the external thumb drive and then follow installation directions from there. There are many demonstration videos for this on YT. All the best.  

2 hours ago, synth_hero said:

1. Keep your Mojave installation as indicated by rAC. This is very important for maintaining your workflow.

2. Check that your external disk is formatted correctly: APFS.

3. Create your Ventura installer on to an external thumb drive. Boot to your installer on the external thumb drive and then follow installation directions from there. There are many demonstration videos for this on YT. All the best.  

Thanks for the advice. Instead of thumb drive, I’m planning to have the Ventura installer on a T 7 Shield drive & also download Logic & other plugins on the external drive. Hope that won’t be an issue.

21 minutes ago, JCcares said:

Instead of thumb drive, I’m planning to have the Ventura installer on a T 7 Shield drive & also download Logic & other plugins on the external drive.

In that case

On the T7, create a small partition (~18 GB) for the Ventura Installer and use the rest for your macOS Ventura installation. (You are using the small partition instead of a USB installer.)

Create the Ventura installer using the "createinstallmedia" binary on to the small partition.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/101578

Then boot to the Ventura Installer and choose the second (empty) large partition as the target disk for your Ventura installation.

1 hour ago, synth_hero said:

In that case

On the T7, create a small partition (~18 GB) for the Ventura Installer and use the rest for your macOS Ventura installation. (You are using the small partition instead of a USB installer.)

Create the Ventura installer using the "createinstallmedia" binary on to the small partition.

Then boot to the Ventura Installer and choose the second (empty) large partition as the target disk for your Ventura installation.

Fantastic ! Thanks!

On 1/13/2024 at 11:21 AM, synth_hero said:

In that case

Thanks to your help,I was able to create a bootable drive with Ventura,but I did it through my New Mac book pro laptop.After a few failed attempts it finally installed & I was able to create a bootable ext drive.Which seems to work well when connected to the new laptop.However when I tried it on my my Imac (Mojave OS) for which I intended  to use it,the comp-uter does not recognize the new bootable drive unfortunately.Not sure what is going on!

Good news.I was able to finally upgrade the OS on my Imac.After a lot of patience being tested,thank God, I was able to upgrade my 2017 Imac to Ventura today,a big jump from  Mojave after many failed attempts to Catalina,Big sur etc past few years.It took almost 4 hours to have it up & running.I came across many issues ,but to start with I found my mouse scroll not working.Finally figured it out In system settings & made it work. My keyboard doesn’t type certain letters now & I’m not able to find a solution.The App Store does not show available updates & says everything is up to date although Logic pro has the old version.Any solutions would be appreciated.Thanks

6 hours ago, JCcares said:

Which seems to work well when connected to the new laptop.However when I tried it on my my Imac (Mojave OS) for which I intended  to use it,the comp-uter does not recognize the new bootable drive unfortunately

This indicates that your iMac is not compatible with macOS Ventura. Could you provide details about your iMac. In the top left hand corner of your iMac screen: Apple --> About This Mac. 

11 hours ago, synth_hero said:

Great! Can you now boot from your external drive attached to your iMac?

Haven't tried yet.Ventura is not picking up certain letters I type from my keyboard.Unable to use my passwords I need to figure that out before I go further.I read that it is common issue with Ventura.Maybe I need to upgrade to Sonoma? But I dont think I'm ready for it yet.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:49 PM, gacki said:

Could you have by any chance accidentally switched to a different keyboard layout?

Thanks. 

Thankfully I was able to fix the keyboard not typing certain letters by looking into this article : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250006675

On 1/20/2024 at 2:04 AM, synth_hero said:

Great! Can you now boot from your external drive attached to your iMac?

Unfortunately I am still unable to boot from my external drive attached to the iMac.My laptop recognizes it very well though & I'm able to boot from it.is it because that the bootable drive was created originally on the laptop?

Thankfully I was able to fix the keyboard not typing certain letters by looking into this article : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250006675

1 hour ago, JCcares said:

Unfortunately I am still unable to boot from my external drive attached to the iMac.My laptop recognizes it very well though & I'm able to boot from it.is it because that the bootable drive was created originally on the laptop?

If your iMac is running Ventura on its internal disk, then booting from an external disk running macOS Ventura should be straight forward. 

This support article addresses your issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1034/mac#:~:text=On your Mac%2C choose Apple,may need to scroll down.)&text=Click the icon of the,to use%2C then click Restart.

This should do it.

8 hours ago, synth_hero said:

If your iMac is running Ventura on its internal disk, then booting from an external disk running macOS Ventura should be straight forward. 

This support article addresses your issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1034/mac#:~:text=On your Mac%2C choose Apple,may need to scroll down.)&text=Click the icon of the,to use%2C then click Restart.

This should do it.

Thanks.Will try it out.I’m wondering if there’s a conflict as my laptop has a M2 chip & the Imac is the older type.Since I installed the drive with a laptop having the chip probably the Imac is not recognizing it? Etre check on my imac says my internal drive is running slower than normal.I kay wipe it out & reinstall Logic & plugins.However the external boot drive would be a blessing for sure. Thanks for all your help.

I’m wondering if there’s a conflict as my laptop has a M2 chip & the Imac is the older type.Since I installed the drive with a laptop having the chip probably the Imac is not recognizing it

So your iMac is running on Intel while your laptop is an Apple Silicon model.

Etre check on my imac says my internal drive is running slower than normal.

It appears that there is an internal hard drive in your iMac and not a SSD. If so, I would highly recommend that you swop the hard drive for a SSD (solid state drive).  

In any event, try booting your Intel? iMac while holding the option(alt) key and the icon for your external drive should appear on the boot screen as per the Apple support document quoted in my previous message.

43 minutes ago, JCcares said:

I guess I must consider swapping the internal drive to SSD. I hope it’s a Do it yourself thing. Etre recomends using an external bootable drive.

It's a bit delicate to swap the internal. the screen is taped to the back of the computer, so you have to first cut the adhesive tape delicately and then use suction cups to lift the screen. Change the SSD, then add new adhesive tape to stick the screen back. See the video below. 

An external bootable drive is much easier. 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

It's a bit delicate to swap the internal. the screen is taped to the back of the computer, so you have to first cut the adhesive tape delicately and then use suction cups to lift the screen. Change the SSD, then add new adhesive tape to stick the screen back. See the video below. 

An external bootable drive is much easier. 

Yes, I  may not do it myself without a pro. I believe ext drive should work soon.

I formatted a different Samsung T 7 drive as a bootable drive for the Imac & it’s running smooth now. I guess it just didn’t accept the drive made from the Silicon M2  laptop . Some conflict ! Thanks to all for helping me on this.Very much appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JCcares said:

I formatted a different Samsung T 7 drive as a bootable drive for the Imac & it’s running smooth now. I guess it just didn’t accept the drive made from the Silicon M2  laptop . Some conflict ! Thanks to all for helping me on this.Very much appreciated.

Great! Good to hear. Thank you for letting us know. 🙂 

• Like 1