Loopback recording with MOTU M-series interface. (?)

ccmillar
Go to solution Solved by oh,

I'm stumped on how to do 'loopback' recording using a MOTU M-series interface!

I have the MOTU drivers installed, my M6 has current firmware, and all works well in Logic for normal use.

Trying to find and use 'loopback':

- I have opened Apple Audio/Midi setup and I see 'Loopback 1, Loopback 2, Loopback Mix 1, Loopback Mix 2' as inputs.

Back in Logic, I create an Audio track and, lets say, I want to record something from YouTube.

- what Input do I use on this Audio track? I have choice between 1-2, 2-3.....up to 7-8 and 9-10.

- what next? I Mute the track input, put it in Record, and then play the audio from YouTube?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks all for any help and directions!

Audio device chosen in Logic?
i.e. you should explicitly choose the "M6" device in Logic Audio settings (rather than the default MacOS "system" device), and (theoretically), the 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and two or three "loopback" inputs should be available on audio channs.

• Like 1

• Solution

I've got the M2. The inputs after the physical ones are the loopback channels. So in your case 7-8 is Loopback (9-10 is loopback mixed with input).

So yes, set input to 7-8, put it in record and play audio. (maybe mute track input, i don't use software monitoring)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oh said:

I've got the M2. The inputs after the physical ones are the loopback channels. So in your case 7-8 is Loopback (9-10 is loopback mixed with input).

So yes, set input to 7-8, put it in record and play audio. (maybe mute track input, i don't use software monitoring)

OK! All is good.

In order to get it working correctly, I also went back to 'Audio Midi Setup' and un-checked all the 'Primary Input' boxes under the "Mu..." column.

(I thought that maybe I would first try it with the Loopback Inputs 'checked'....but that didn't work. The Loopback works correctly when I don't 'check' off any Primary Inputs in the Audio Midi Setup window.)

Nice to know that all is good! thanks!

• Like 1

Oh yeah!....I guess that "Mu..." means 'Mute' in the Audio MIDI Setup window! Duh! Good one! That's why it wasn't working when "Mu..." was checked.

(I couldn't expand the column in the window for some reason, and didn't know what "Mu..." was referring to... Music? Multi?)