Logic script for multiple instances of modifier fx?

Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

So, while I was messing around with the scripter plugin on Logic I found a preset called “Midi to Plugin Parameters” which basically works like modifier (you can choose to convert midi to midi as well) but it comes with a single drawback:

image.thumb.png.8c371d808fe799498a181cb4f54209f7.png

As you can see, it does not allow for scaling & offset adjustments but instead it lets you adjust min and max %’s. This could be fine for some use cases but I just don’t get as precise results with controls as I do with modifier. For example I can’t easily offset a parameter to a fixed value (like 95) and then also make the midi input scale negatively (ex. to -110%).

This script would otherwise be perfect as I’d love to get experimental with modifying bunch of parameters without hitting the midi fx cap on a track.

As someone with 0 experience in coding I guess is not a small ask so I hope at least someone can guide me on how to tackle this. 

Hey there @Jordi Torres,

First off, thank you for your help, you have no idea how much I needed this 😄. After tinkering with the script a bit I found that positive scaling works well but negative scaling does not (Offset still functions with negative scaling, it's just the midi output that stops working). Offset works perfectly with both negative and positive values.

With pitchbend, positive scaling works but neither positive nor negative offset have any effect on output. Negative scaling likewise does not work. 

Again, I really appreciate the help! 

Hey @Babinou,

5 hours ago, Babinou said:

First off, thank you for your help

You're welcome 🙂

After tinkering with the script a bit I found that positive scaling works well but negative scaling does not (Offset still functions with negative scaling, it's just the midi output that stops working). Offset works perfectly with both negative and positive values.

Looks I did not test it thoroughly enough 😅, I definitely see what you mean. I'll have a go at it again to fix it.

With pitchbend, positive scaling works but neither positive nor negative offset have any effect on output. Negative scaling likewise does not work. 

I admit I did not test Pitchbend much, I almost mentioned it in my previous post. I'll have a look at that as well.

J. 

• Solution
On 1/17/2024 at 6:12 PM, Babinou said:

After tinkering with the script a bit I found that positive scaling works well but negative scaling does not (Offset still functions with negative scaling, it's just the midi output that stops working). Offset works perfectly with both negative and positive values.

Ok I managed to crack it and this is now working identical to the Modifier plugin, at least with 7bit data (for example, CCs). I did not test it with Pitchbend yet, no time.

Screenshot2024-01-19at00_11_31.thumb.png.c7403120e5812da71aca5ea612c9e1cf.png

I re-uploaded the preset.

J. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That's awesome. Thanks @Jordi Torres !! 

Cool thanks, but I'm still not done. Need to deal with the Pitchbend...

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

BTW you just had me download and install ShowMIDI. Great tool. I may never have to open Snoize ever again? 😄 

I still use them both, but for dealing with a lot of data like in the test I was doing in that screenshot, ShowMIDI is the better tool for sure. There's some features in MIDI Monitor that we don't have in Show MIDI (being able to choose which data to show, showing data that goes out some port, etc.), but if we're lucky the developer might end up adding them (he already added SysEx support which was missing when I first tried it out).

J.

• Like 1

Hey again, 

You are awesome for doing this 😄 

I ran your new script and it works exactly as you described! I just ran into some little quirk that I wanted to bring to your attention: When first loading up the script, midi note on/off and velocity sort of stop registering. It is easily fixed by running the script in the editor window, however. 

Thanks again for your contribution 🙂

Edited by Babinou

Hi @Babinou,

I've uploaded a version that deals with Pitchbend as expected. Enjoy!

At some point I'll probably add the "Thru" button seen in the Modifier MIDI FX plugin.

14 hours ago, Babinou said:

I just ran into some little quirk that I wanted to bring to your attention: When first loading up the script, midi note on/off and velocity sort of stop registering.

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure what you mean. Anyway, none of the modifications I did really should affect that, so I'm not sure to say. I certainly did not notice anything like that.

J. 

• Love 1

Giving the latest script a go, it indeed does work perfectly. Kudos! 🙂

As far as I am concerned, I will mark this thread as resolved. If you are willing to go the completionist route, there are also four input types modifier accounts for but are not implemented in the base script: (pbup, pbdown, release velocity, program change). They seem a bit gimmicky as far as use cases go, though. 

As for the issue I described, it was probably something on my end; It didn't reoccur with your latest file.

Thank you again for this script! I will be off to incorporate it to my template now 😄

Edited by Babinou
  • Like 1

Hey Babinou,

On 1/23/2024 at 7:20 AM, Babinou said:

If you are willing to go the completionist route, there are also four input types modifier accounts for but are not implemented in the base script: (pbup, pbdown, release velocity, program change). hey seem a bit gimmicky as far as use cases go, though. 

I agree with the last bit, so I think I will pass.

Glad you find this script useful! And good to hear you are no longer experiencing the issue you described earlier.

Cheers,

J.