Macro for smooth fader movements in Logic?

luckyal

Is it possible to create macros for making smooth volume/pan adjustments?  I'm mixing a LIVE show and need to execute consistent fader movements between 'scenes'. For example, I have background music playing and wish to execute a smooth fade out while fading in up to 8 handheld mics quickly.  I understand that I could probably utilize a Stream Deck to some extent, but how exactly would this work in Logic?  I don't want the MIDI triggering to be dependent on my timeline at all. If that were the case, I would just create an automation lane. I need to be spontaneous in the execution of those commands, but the consistency of fades and desired levels is a must, which doing this by hand is not really possible when handling more than 8 faders.

2 hours ago, luckyal said:

I need to be spontaneous in the execution of those commands, but the consistency of fades and desired levels is a must, which doing this by hand is not really possible when handling more than 8 faders.

How about raising a single VCA manually? Would you be able to handle something that?
VCA_Xfade.thumb.gif.be83a46690aec6076790e80d0139ac3b.gif
J.

11 hours ago, luckyal said:

I have 64 tracks condensed to 13 VCAs. For me precision is essential, both for fader speed and setting. Can't achieve that manually.

Ok, so based on what you're want something ("commands") that will raise/lower faders, from points that you define ("setting") and do so at a rate that you define ("speed"), and all of this independent from Logic's timeline.

You could probably hack something out based on the Modulator MIDI FX plugin's LFO.

J.

• Like 1

If you are wanting an exact fade out or fade in to happen in a very automatic and precise way then it can be programmed with scripter.  Then it just waits for you to trigger it, so that it’s not tied to a timeline per say, but scripter would play it back for exactly the same length of time as you programmed it, starting from when you trigger it. I’m not sure if that is what you’re asking for or not.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

If you are wanting an exact fade out or fade in to happen in a very automatic and precise way then it can be programmed with scripter.  Then it just waits for you to trigger it, so that it’s not tied to a timeline per say, but scripter would play it back for exactly the same length of time as you programmed it, starting from when you trigger it. I’m not sure if that is what you’re asking for or not.  

I think this might be it. Typically scripted is executed on MIDI tracks, but these are audio tracks which are grouped into summing tracks, being monitored through plug-in processing and recorded live into Logic. I'm curious on where I would get started.

Scripter operates on instrument channels and can be used to automate any parameter on the channel.

You might be able to use midi controlled FX on an instrument channel in order to automate fader or other plugin parameters while processing input audio

Edited by Dewdman42
  • Like 1