Mouse Automation Resolution for Volume, etc.

Chipp Tate
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I've been dealing with this since I got Logic Pro, but a new Logitech MX Master 3S mouse (with DPI control) seems to have eliminated hardware as the cause of it. I'm writing to ask if my understanding of this problem is correct, and what, if anything, may be done about it.

When I try to set and adjust an automation point for Gain, Volume. etc., I cannot get a continuous series of values in 0.1db increments, and I can (almost never) go straight to the value I want. It's not that it can't/doesn't happen, but it typically takes at least 3 attempts, and oftentimes more, from each direction, to get a series of numbers that includes the value I need. And that's taking far more time than it would if it worked as needed the first time.

The number series that's provided varies each time I release the point and start again, and looks exactly like I've been dealt a poker hand with a random/variable sequence of values. Past experience suggests the resolution of that sequence depends on the zoom setting of the track, where larger provides more choices, but fully zooming the track will not solve the problem.

I'm working on a project that requires a lot of adjustments to individual tracks to correct problems in the gain structure due to the way it was recorded live. Doing that works well in 1.5db increments, and those make it easy to accurately adjust tracks that need to be edited later.

Please let me know if I'm missing something here that could provide the resolution I need.

Hi oscwilde -

I forgot to mention in my post that I'm aware of Hold Command (not Option - which does not work at all) when making these edits. And Hold Command does help - sometimes - but not consistently enough to make it worth the extra effort - or distraction - it takes to use that.

I appreciate you reaching out and trying to help, but I'm looking for a permanent reliable solution to this, and think a modification to the mouse pointer interface may be required.

53 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Hold Option while dragging an automation point.

32 minutes ago, Chipp Tate said:

I'm aware of Hold Command (not Option

Are you guys sure about either Command or Option doing anything? 

I've always used Control here, which works consistently. Neither Command nor Option does anything as far as getting more resolution while dragging a volume automation point vertically here. 

The easiest way to test this is to start at —∞ and hold down Control while you drag up. Now try with Command and next try with Option. 

• Like 1

Yep....you're right about ctrl-click-dragging.

Option-dragging also works on a finer scale for vertical moves, but is handy for horizontal moves as well as it retains the value (which is probably why I use it/it's my go to KC).
Old habits. 😉

• Like 1

I've known about and tried Command/Hold/Drag to improve vertical resolution, and it sometimes seems to help. I'm not familiar with Option/Hold/Drag for that and when I tried it yesterday it didn't seem to change anything. But...

I'm still in need of a way to make accurate vertical edits easily and quickly. It may not be a fair comparison but I used AutoCAD for work and never had any problem getting those values to go where I wanted quickly and easily. So, David...

If Logic can't do that, and I'm entirely pleased with it other than that, I'd like to ask if it might be possible to add a feature that could set the 0.1db resolution to increments (maybe even specified), like +/- 1.5db starting at 0. That would actually reduce the resolution and seem to make it easier to use. That would also make it like some of the Compressor adjustments that are in larger fixed steps.

Thanks, Chipp

• Solution
3 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

I've known about and tried Command/Hold/Drag to improve vertical resolution, and it sometimes seems to help. I'm not familiar with Option/Hold/Drag for that and when I tried it yesterday it didn't seem to change anything. But...

Again, try CONTROL while you're already dragging. It works reliably. I described how to test it in my previous post. For me, Command and Option do nothing at all.