Learning to Play Piano?

Get a teacher.... Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.

I would agree with this, in that I am a pianist who plays for Church and who plays Classical Music. But what others have said is very true as well. It depends very much on what you want. If you just want to be able to play chords for some rock tunes, you don't need much of anything for that. You just need to learn chord structure. If you really want to be good- i.e, play Liszt, Chopin, etc.- I would suggest that you do go through all the boring scales and fingerings and stuff. It will pay immense dividends later. :)

I hope that helps.

Theory is very important, and I went to Music conservatories for YEARS to learn composition, theory, etc... - I just don't think that's how you should start to learn music. Just like I don't think you start learning to use Logic by studying the math behind 32 bit floating point audio engines!

I agree, there are better starting points than theory. I remember all the different places I used to ride my bicycle to when I was young. The park, school, my friend's house. I couldn't read a map yet, but I sure had a lot of fun. I loved the sheer enjoyment of riding my bike. I knew where I was going. More importantly I knew why I was riding.

We know that theory is a great tool that helps us connect our understanding with our musical experience. We know that it opens up huge possibilities in terms of our expressive palette. Theory really helps when you co-ordinate your efforts with other people.

But theory is a product of observation and analysis. The age-old problem of trying to lead with analysis is that it is so easy to fall into "murder to dissect". We may have surrendered our sense of play. How many of us have heard "don't over think it, just play". (okay okay I'll just speak for myself :( :D).

Play music. Play Music. Play Music, on the piano.

For me, the key that unlocks that music, is your Voice. The songs you sing, the jokes you tell, the poems you recite, the roles you act out, the conversations at a job or with a friend. Music emerges out of You. The piano is just gonna sit there until you play. It is easier if you sing the themes with personality and then play them on the keys. (Don't worry nobody's watching)

This is a cool way to intuit the usefulness of studying theory, harmony, composition, and technique.

(for the record I have studied classical piano)

• 2 weeks later...
Check out a guy on you tube "lypur" or andrew furmancyx... Very good and simple to follow he can be a bit of a goofball cracking some dry gag's but still entertaining in a silly way. I have been watching for about a month now and practicing about 15 mins a day and have pretty much mastered the major scale. Check it out you wont be dissapointed providing you can tolerate his geeky style...

• 2 weeks later...
Listen to as much music as you can and, most importantly, have fun. Don't make learnin' the keys a chore. Just have fun with it. Hang out with other keyboardists even if they don't play the style you'd prefer, and leech off of them (as harsh as that sounds, but since you're a musician they'll probably be leechin' off you, too). Get on YouTube and check out pianists you like. Just enjoy the process. That's my two cents.

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna chime in something here.

IF you decide to go the route of a teacher, just actually make sure you find a teacher who you're going to be comfortable with.

I decided to get some piano tuition last year after teaching myself keyboards for a good while and it was infuriating because she was teaching me way below my level, but the annoying thing was i couldnt play it properly because she wanted me to use the 'correct' fingering even though how i played it was more comfortable and made movement to the next position easier.

she had a go at me and said "if you just wanna bash out a few tunes then just go to a damn jazz club"

i stormed right outta there. no way i could work with someone so close-minded as to insult a genre of music that took her instrument to new levels.

And i LOVE classical music too, but i just couldnt bear to work with someone that stuck up.

So if you get a teacher, find one thats right for you!

If you get a book try getting one of the light hearted ones.

Also what david said about theory is right. Ive never actively learned theory but just playing guitar and keyboards and getting into jazz has basically turned me into a theory nut with chords and extended harmonies and everything.

Get the instrument down first, and then you'll learn why you are doing what you're doing.

I come from what you would call the traditional piano background, where one played/studied classical music and theory and was put through years of lessons by their parents. I know many people who are well versed in theory and music knowledge who have plenty of trouble with creating or manipulating their own ideas, but also people who don't know a thing about theory who yet are able to produce the most amazing pieces.

I personally have been struggling with this new hobby I've picked up recently. I picked up an $200 midi keyboard and an $150 dollar academic version of Logic Studio and that was it. Just a little something to keep me sane after a long hard day at work.

To be honest, even after all those years of studying music, my theory and overall knowledge of music remains very poor. My parents put me through classes ever since I was a kid, but I slacked off majorly. I blame that on myself. Things were picked up and very quickly forgotten after each exam. However, there is one thing I'm grateful for and that is being able to play back things I hear (provided they're not too complicated). When I was younger, every time i came across pop songs and music from video games, I would try to play them back on keys I was comfortable in. Now, playing them across ALL of the keys is a real challenge, and remains so for me even today. Occasionally, I try to get out of my comfort zone and play on those obscure keys, but it wouldn't be long before I get frustrated and just hit the damn transpose.

As of now, I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with chords so there can be a basic foundation and backbone for all my songs.

So far, it has been extremely difficult for me in trying to express my ideas with my half assed music background and the limited knowledge with working with technology. Sometimes I have the coolest stuff running through my head, but I just am unable to paint it on the canvas.

I saw this thread and was curious in hearing other people's thoughts in the best way to approach the keyboard.

As of now, I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with chords so there can be a basic foundation and backbone for all my songs.

Sometimes I have the coolest stuff running through my head, but I just am unable to paint it on the canvas.

I saw this thread and was curious in hearing other people's thoughts in the best way to approach the keyboard.

I am going to suggest that you start a new thread. Learning Keyboard for the Sequencer is not the same endeavour as learning piano.

You are thinking like a composer, not an interpreter/performer, so ya, go with that, and enjoy. There is more than one form of success when it comes to music.

I'm guessing that you already know enough to start being effective musically. One of my teachers told me "someone can know it all and still be a bore". (I really didn't like the chuckle and the look he was giving me when he said it).

Talk to you in the new thread.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
im a beginner at piano also, i play guitar,bass ,drums etc. what i have found works is to get a decent teacher, learn songs you like !!! get some theory . and practice for 15mins ever day on chords and scales and how they relate to each other and in no time you'll be enjoying it. i always found it daunting to learn but im gonna stick at it and add it to my songs when im good enough.

• 4 months later...
Can anyone recommend a good set of DVD's to learn the basics of playing the piano? There seems to be so many out there that I'm confused as to which ones are better than others. Any info or insight would be appreciated!

I play piano for a long time. the best way to learn piano is with a good teacher, but if you don't want to spend money like that , I would begin with the basic books which will learn you about the noots first. learning from the books are the best way for the first step to get the basics. why books for the first step and not dvd's?

if you buy the book, you must learn it and pay attention. this make you more focused on your goal because you need to concentrate. but the concentration with dvd's are less than book. Lateron if you really had learned the basics from the book, you can begin with dvd's, then you know the basic already on that time.

I would do it like this and suggest begin with the books at the first step.

Good luck;)