Looking for info about Logic and RAM

JamesBRey
Go to solution Solved by Dr.Socrates,

Hi.     Sort of a newbie here on Logic 10.8.1 and Mac M2 laptop, but long time user on earlier versions.

I'm having an issue where when I first run a song or switch from another application, the program will stall while it is reading audio files from my SD card.      No issues after that - all works perfect.     Not a huge problem but wondering if this is an issue due to the amount of RAM I have in my computer (16GB).

I'm probably going to buy a new Mac Studio for my at home setup which comes standard with 32GB.    Can anyone shed light on this issue or how much RAM you think is necessary for smooth operation?     I am not running a ton of plug-ins or anything and would prefer the 32GB base model due to cost unless there is a compelling reason to bump it.     Apple's RAM is very expensive as you know and not upgradable in the field.

TIA!

-    jr

SD cards are very very slow, so anytime Logic or Finder checks the filesystem, this will slow down the reads. This has nothing to do with your RAM.

16GB is fine for regular use, and is what I have on my M1 MBP. 32GB is better...

• Like 3

• Solution

I also have 16 GB on my M1 Mac Mini, and it works fine for most things I would need it to. 

If I am not mistaken, more RAM is only good if you would otherwise exceed the memory you have, while more CPU power is “always” good, since it speeds everything up. 

A suggestion: Try to open Activity Monitor on your Mac to get a detailed view on what activities that run on your Mac. Try opening some of your more challenging Logic Projects and see how much memory they use. That would give you an idea of wherever or not you need more. It tells you both how much your project challenge the CPU and the memory. 

Based on your descriptions, I would think you will find that you do not need more than 16, let alone more than 32 …

• Like 1

Thank you for this information all, it is very helpful.     I think 32GB RAM should be fine for my new set-up but I will investigate further.

I bought this high speed Sandisk card for videographers:    SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card.   

It plugs right into the laptop directly and claims speed of 200MB/s.     Do you still think this is the bottleneck I am experiencing or could it be something else?

- jr

2 hours ago, JamesBRey said:

Thank you for this information all, it is very helpful.     I think 32GB RAM should be fine for my new set-up but I will investigate further.

I bought this high speed Sandisk card for videographers:    SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card.   

It plugs right into the laptop directly and claims speed of 200MB/s.     Do you still think this is the bottleneck I am experiencing or could it be something else?

- jr

check it's format. it should be formatted for mac (but don't do that until you copy everything off of it, as formatting will wipe the card!). am assuming you're using it for music, not a specific camera...

i would still suggest working on a project that you've copied to your mac, you'll get better speeds. and if you are storing work on the SD card, make sure you're also backing it up...

Thank you all for the information, very helpful.     My card was formatted for Mac by me, but I guess that 200MB/s is not as fast as I thought.     Not wanting to fill up my internal HD with audio files - so this will work in a pinch with the one caveat of slow load for the first go.

Thanks again.   - jr