Midi CC start/stop from external sequencer

hecksome

Hi,

I’m using the fantastic oxi one sequencer with Logic, but I’m having sync issues. If I send clock from Logic to the oxi it’s a little jittery and the bpm jumps around a bit before settling in, plus I have to play with the delay ms to get it close, and I have to vary the ms of delay depending on tempo. 

I’m hoping to instead use the start button on the oxi to start Logic as well. The oxi will send CC start and stop messages on a single midi channel, but I can’t figure out how to get it to control Logic. I tried mapping the keyboard shortcut for play/stop as a controller and then press learn, but it doesn’t see anything when I press the play button. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by hecksome
Typo, unclear

If I understand you correctly, part of what you need is to convert between bpm and ms. 

luckily for you, user @ryotaneryo made a great tool for the environment to help with this. If I may also mention it myself, I made a version in Apple Numbers of this tool, which lets you easily calculate ms delay time for different BPM. You can find both of our tools in the following thread - just make sure to scroll down to the end and use my v1.2, because I made some errors with the first version:

best of luck!

Ooh that’s cool!! I’ll take a look, thanks!

My main issue is actually just syncing up start time precisely more than the bpm issue. Using Logic as a clock source for my sequencer over usb is not working solidly, and I’m trying to figure a work around or why it’s not working better. 

I actually tried sending a 24 ppqn clock from my eurorack, via the free Pam Sync plugin, and it works much better! Stops automatically and the whole deal. Ironic that the more old-timey technology works better. Maybe someday midi 2.0 will fix this.

ill give the 5 pin a shot as well. 

thanks!