need arpeggio

Spunkadellic

so i got a job where i need to create very cool arpeggios.

i know logic is limited in that area, so i need to buy a third party vi synth

hybrid seems to be innovative...but that only works for protools - fine

I saw a internet video for jupiter8V - it looks really cool, or is there a better synth out there for arpeggios and stuff that works well with logic

thanks

Other option...

Use the arp in Live, rewire into logic. You get to use Logic instruments and Lives dead-easy, but fun arp (parameters are automatable, to make builds/ fills in your sequence.

Maybe even hone a few audio friends.. somebodys prob got an unused 'Live Lite' kickin around. M-audio was giving the freakin things away with every piece of crap kit.

Arpeggios Unite!

so i got a job where i need to create very cool arpeggios.

i know logic is limited in that area, so i need to buy a third party vi synth

hybrid seems to be innovative...but that only works for protools - fine

I saw a internet video for jupiter8V - it looks really cool, or is there a better synth out there for arpeggios and stuff that works well with logic

thanks

logic 8 can not sync to external midi anymore, meaning

MIDI Clock is yet another option, not to be confused with MTC, though they are similar. Originally, MIDI clock sync was just a bunch of blips that told devices when to start, stop, continue and follow the tempo of the master device. This is perfect for making synths and samplers synchronize their LFOs, and effects delay time. It also passes tempo which is important when syncing arpeggiators, drum loops and other time based sounds.

MIDIclockSyncRemoved.gif.7897ea2ddb5c1d963f5d16811af28255.gif

i think he meant the virtual jupiter form arturia. but good thing to know they took that away. i didnt even noticed.

yes, they took it away, it made my super nova II useless! Now I can not use the appregiator on it. Sucks, because software sounds are so inferior to hardware sounds.

If you think, todays macs have more power then yesteryears hardware synths, yet they are still crippled when trying to emulate the hardware synths.

But case in point, in a more advanced studio, you would need these features. I work with all hardware synths, use software synths sometimes, but gave up do to bugs with them and logic not working together.

I would also say logic 7 appregiators are suerpior to that of logic 8, as logic 7 can sync external arps, meaning its app engine is more powerful. Another no brianer

i will definately agree with you about sound quality...no virtual instrument in the worls can match a good vco...thats why i still have my old synths

however...ive seen some of the modulation and arpeggio capabilities of some new vi's and the possibilities and options explore way beyond what hardware synths can do

i dont have a polyphonic vco synth with an amazing arpeggiator, so im lookingto see what softsynths folx use for that

ive been looking at the arturia v synth connection now...it has all the old remodeled synths jupiter, prophet, moog...is this a good deal different than logic's vi's? hows the arpeggiators?

i will definately agree with you about sound quality...no virtual instrument in the worls can match a good vco...thats why i still have my old synths

however...ive seen some of the modulation and arpeggio capabilities of some new vi's and the possibilities and options explore way beyond what hardware synths can do

i dont have a polyphonic vco synth with an amazing arpeggiator, so im lookingto see what softsynths folx use for that

ive been looking at the arturia v synth connection now...it has all the old remodeled synths jupiter, prophet, moog...is this a good deal different than logic's vi's? hows the arpeggiators?

I have the Jupiter 8V and I can get my head around that one. It's a bit limited, but when using the jupiter sound, its a wicked sounding arp. It has a cool randomizer, too. You can test the demo out (no time limits but you can't import/export sounds).

I also have the ARP 2600 from arturia. There's a little learning curve since everything's modular and you can wire it up to any parameter. Once you get it down, the 2600 is the shiznit.

This just went on my wish list.

How does one create arpeggios in Logic with the Logic synths? I've never done this because I never had a reason to but suddenly it has come up and I can't quite figure it out.

I have the Jupiter 8V and I can get my head around that one. It's a bit limited, but when using the jupiter sound, its a wicked sounding arp. It has a cool randomizer, too. You can test the demo out (no time limits but you can't import/export sounds).

I also have the ARP 2600 from arturia. There's a little learning curve since everything's modular and you can wire it up to any parameter. Once you get it down, the 2600 is the shiznit.

stephentrask: How does one create arpeggios in Logic with the Logic synths? I've never done this because I never had a reason to but suddenly it has come up and I can't quite figure it out.

Its described on pg 869 in the Logic 8 User Manual. But this how I do it:

1. In the Environment view, in the Mixer layer, New->Arpeggiator, name it Arp1 (or whatever). Then connect the arp object out to the top of the channel strip of Logic instrument (e.g. ES1)

2. In the Arrange view, ctrl-click the track with Logic instrument (e.g. ES1), choose Reassign Track Object->Mixer->Arp1

Now you can tweek the resolution , length , snap etc. and you're set.

Hope that helps !

Hi, I have used the new Reason 4.0 and love its arpeggiator in that you can manually control it and it has a drum-machine-like tab at the top that activates when it plays. HOWEVER, I am not about to buy Reason just for this. What are some downloadable (or inexpensive) arpeggiator programs that can give me this kinda of flexibility.

Use the arp in Live, rewire into logic. You get to use Logic instruments and Lives dead-easy

Forgive my ignorance, but how would you do this? I get how to rewire audio into Logic but how would you input arp midi info into Logic via rewire so that the notes could be played by Logic's instruments?

stephentrask: How does one create arpeggios in Logic with the Logic synths? I've never done this because I never had a reason to but suddenly it has come up and I can't quite figure it out.

1. In the Environment view, in the Mixer layer, New->Arpeggiator, name it Arp1 (or whatever). Then connect the arp object out to the top of the channel strip of Logic instrument (e.g. ES1)

2. In the Arrange view, ctrl-click the track with Logic instrument (e.g. ES1), choose Reassign Track Object->Mixer->Arp1

Hope that helps !

Awesome, thanks. I do read the manual, I swear.

I do an in-depth series of tutorials on arpegiators in my Logic Tips and Tricks series at www.macprovideo.com. I show how to built switches to select different resolutions right from your main screenset. I also show how to easily switch them in and out of record mode when you want to record their arpegiated outputs to tracks! Once these are in your project then you can arpegiate anytime at will without having to reinvent the wheel! It's a monthly series... 15 minutes of new tutorials on all kinds of esoteric topics every month delivered to your desktop every month

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicTipsAndTricks

As usual. David has arranged for LogicProHelp members save an additional 10% by applying this coupon code in the shopping cart:

Coupon code: lph

Thanks for your support!

Steve H.

Hope that helps !

Awesome, thanks. I do read the manual, I swear.

:D eh , manual, shmanual

yes, they took it away, it made my super nova II useless! Now I can not use the appregiator on it. Sucks, because software sounds are so inferior to hardware sounds.

Sheesh humberto. I've yet to see a reputable hardware synth that can't sync to MIDI clock, and when using one with an external sequencer, ext sync is always the preferred method anyway.

So, from the Novation Supernova II manual:

------------------

MIDI Clock Int/Ext/Auto:

This parameter determines If the Supernova II keyboard is syncing to Internal Clock, External MIDI Clock or either. Use the upper

Data knob to adjust this parameter. When set to “Int”, internal clock will always be used and the tempo can be controlled by the

Arpeggiator Speed knob. When set to “Ext”, external MIDI clock will always be used. When set to “Auto”, internal clock will be used

unless an external MIDIclock is detected, at which point the External MIDI clock will then be used instead. The range of this para-

meter is Int, Ext & Auto. This parameter is memorised with the Global settings.

-------------------

Set up Logic so that it's transmitting MIDI clock on the port going to the Supernova. The Auto setting sounds like just what you need.

The loss of sync to MIDI clock in Logic in no way affects your ability to use your rigs arpeggiators, just as it doesn't keep me from using the arpeggiators in my Kurzweil rig.

Take some time to learn how to use your stuff properly and your life will be a lot less frustrating.

Use the arp in Live, rewire into logic. You get to use Logic instruments and Lives dead-easy

Forgive my ignorance, but how would you do this? I get how to rewire audio into Logic but how would you input arp midi info from Live into Logic via rewire so that the notes could be played by Logic's instruments?

Can no one answer this? :-(

Forgive my ignorance, but how would you do this? I get how to rewire audio into Logic but how would you input arp midi info from Live into Logic via rewire so that the notes could be played by Logic's instruments?

Can no one answer this? :-(

You could send MIDI back from Live to Logic over the IAC bus.

Even without ReWire you can use Live as an external MIDI plugin, like this

Logic --> IAC bus 1 --> Live --> IAC bus 2 --> Logic

Just be careful about MIDI feedback loops.

General rule: If sending MIDI from Logic to IAC bus #n, you need to prevent that Logic receives from the same IAC bus #n, by cabling in the environment the corresponding input port to a monitor as "dead end".

Sheesh humberto. I've yet to see a reputable hardware synth that can't sync to MIDI clock, and when using one with an external sequencer, ext sync is always the preferred method anyway.

So, from the Novation Supernova II manual:

------------------

MIDI Clock Int/Ext/Auto:

This parameter determines If the Supernova II keyboard is syncing to Internal Clock, External MIDI Clock or either. Use the upper

Data knob to adjust this parameter. When set to “Int”, internal clock will always be used and the tempo can be controlled by the

Arpeggiator Speed knob. When set to “Ext”, external MIDI clock will always be used. When set to “Auto”, internal clock will be used

unless an external MIDIclock is detected, at which point the External MIDI clock will then be used instead. The range of this para-

meter is Int, Ext & Auto. This parameter is memorised with the Global settings.

-------------------

Set up Logic so that it's transmitting MIDI clock on the port going to the Supernova. The Auto setting sounds like just what you need.

The loss of sync to MIDI clock in Logic in no way affects your ability to use your rigs arpeggiators, just as it doesn't keep me from using the arpeggiators in my Kurzweil rig.

Take some time to learn how to use your stuff properly and your life will be a lot less frustrating.

can you read? Dont you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? I mean you took the time to find, copy and paste the section in the novation supernova II but did not see the picture of MIDI CLOCK missing in logic 8....

LOGIC 8 CAN NOT SYNC to my supernova. THERE IS NO MORE MIDI CLOCK in logic 8!!!! Its not there! Meaning, logic 8 rendered my hardware synth useless... with logic 8.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/files/midiclocksyncremoved_212.gif

thats because logic 8 is really a downgrade.... so BUYER BEWARE, logic 8 can render your hardware synth useless , be a pro, stick to logic 7

humberto

What you are failing to understand is that you can still transmit MIDI clock *FROM* Logic to your outboard gear. In Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI select the MIDI port your SuperNova is connected to, check the box next to "Transmit MIDI Clock", and Logic will transmit MIDI clock *TO* your device. The snippet fader8 included from the SuperNova manual explains how to set it up to lock to that incoming MIDI clock information.

From all your recent posts you seem fixated on the fact that Logic 8 will no longer lock itself to incoming MIDI clock data. That's true. But what is being suggested is that instead of locking Logic to your SuperNova, you lock your SuperNova to Logic. This second approach works in Logic 7 and in Logic 8.

2033207500_Snapshot2007-11-2314-22-11.jpg.1ccf59f8980629053ba01536a213c67b.jpg

Logic's arpeggiators used in conjunction with MIDI delays, chord memorizers, and transformer's in the environment really rock. Yes, there's a learning curve...but well worth the investment of time. I just scored a game using only Logic's environment -no notes on the arrange page at all! There's a lot of power there, and, the time you spend experimenting pays off in spades with extremely original stuff.