How to connect four HDMI displays to a Mac Studio ?

Go to solution Solved by des99,

Since I'm running against walls more and more with my trusty old MacPro from 2010 (not performance-wise, mind you, but this, that and the other software simply refuses to load and/or update to a current version on that old lady), I may soon pull the trigger on a Mac Studio M2 max 32Gb/512Gb. 

One thing that I can't seem to figure out - how would I connect four HD 1920x1080 displays with HDMI connectors to this beast ? I may use the one HDMI connector on the Mac, and have looked for a USB-C Thunderbolt to 3x HMDI adapter, but couldn't find one. Does it exist ? If not, do I have to sacrifice three of the four Thunderbolt ports ? I hope not ?

Thanks

Edited by fuzzfilth

• Solution

You can get hubs with HDMI ports, so you can still use your TB ports for other purposes as well as an HDMI or displayport monitor, if you're concerned about dedicating a whole port just to a monitor. I have a Satechi that works great...

I don't think you can have multiple displayports or HDMI ports for monitors on one connection, because there is only one monitor path per interface/port, I believe. You *can* have, depending on your port specs, a displayport *and* an HDMI active from one port - my Satechi hub does this...

14 hours ago, des99 said:

I don't think you can have multiple displayports or HDMI ports for monitors on one connection

You are right. All the TB docks I found with more than one HDMI/DP/VGA port state (in the fine print, mind you) that MacOS only supports either mirroring (all extra screens show the same as the source screen) or Extended Desktop, albeit this still has the same content on all extra screens, which is useless. Isn't this ironic, Apple, who invented (they did, didn't they?) and popularized TB can not use all connected displays while Windows effortlessly can ?

So I will have to buy three docks, use one HDMI port on each and try to fill the surplus USB ports with "stuff".

a displayport *and* an HDMI active from one port - my Satechi hub does this...

Can you name the specific model, please ?

Thank you

Edited by fuzzfilth

12 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Can you name the specific model, please ?

Yes, this one - it's an Anker, sorry, Satechi was my last keyboard purchase:

https://www.anker.com/uk/products/a8388?variant=41786313998500

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09Q5V9G5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Multi-Monitor Display: Connect to the DisplayPort and HDMI port to enjoy crystal-clear streaming or mirroring across 2 displays at up to 2K@60Hz with a DP 1.4 laptop or 1080p@60Hz with a DP 1.2 laptop."

(I paid about 2/3 of this price for mine, btw)

Ok, so you can only mirror one screen to both? I only use it for one 4K display, so don't use both ports and didn't realise (and my MBP has another two USC-C ports and an HDMI) so I'm not short on ports - the Anker though does everything for one on one USB-C port - monitor, SSD, USB3 hub etc, so it's been great...

• 4 weeks later...

As I recall/understand it, no, Apple did not create Thunderbolt, though they did popularize it. Also as I recall/understand it, the limitations are linked to the change in processor architecture. (At least, that's what I hope—it would be a totally foot-shootingly stupid idea if it were a manufactured limitation.) But yes, you'll need to use the Thunderbolt ports to connect four screens. With any luck, those can be pushed through HDMI adapters if that's what you need, though this page doesn't share any more detail. https://support.apple.com/en-us/101910

Thanks for reminding me. Here's what I ended up doing a couple of weeks ago:

- connect one 1920x1080 display to the Mac Studio's HDMI port

- connect three 1920x1080 displays to three TB ports on the Mac with three of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BR3M8XHK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
These are cheap (ie. not the best), but the load from the HD displays is also not exorbitant, I'm not asking for 5k on gaming frame rates...

- connect the MOTU 8Pre-ES to the fourth TB port

- put three drives (3TB Audio Library, 8TB Projects, 8TB Backup) into one of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07QD5DXV2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
 and connect to the Mac via USB-C. I'll have to change the fan to a *much* quieter one, though. Also, I have a free utility running (it's called 'Amphetamine', yeah, fisherking, there you have it, it's free) to keep the drives from spinning down after a while as the drive enclosure flat out ignores the OS's energy saving settings 🙄

- connect all the other USB shenanigans to the 12 free USB ports

Now all I have to keep doing is convince the machine over and over that I am actually allowed to do this, that and the other. The security restrictions on modern MacOS are insane.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

- connect all the other USB shenanigans to the 12 free USB ports

Are you being sarcastic or did you find a good 12 port USB hub?

EDIT: Sorry, got it, because of the USB Ports on the Hubs for the displays...

BTW: I've unfortunately had best experiences with Apples € 79 AV Multiport Adapter... but of course, that's only 1 additional display... 
https://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/MUF82ZM/A/usb‑c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Edited by wonshu