Apple Studio Display?

Go to solution Solved by logicrules,

Greetings All,

I’m running Logic on a Mac mini M2 Pro and I’m considering getting a Studio Display to replace my current display. Is anyone here using it with their Logic setup?

I record vocals and acoustic guitar with a mic positioned a few feet from my computer, so I’m curious to know if there are any issues with buzz, hum, or fan noise coming from the display. I’ve read about some issues but I don’t know how common they are.

I appreciate any info on this, as well as general comments on how people like using this display with their Logic setups.

Thanks!

Edited by logicrules

• logicrules changed the title to Apple Studio Display?

Hey, could you be more specific on talking about the buzz or hum? do you mean from the built in internal speakers? or just the fans? I only use the speakers when im on a zoom call or something but I have no issues. The fans are quiet to the point I have never heard them turn on. Granted I just got them and its winter so it hasn't been hot in my studio at all so who knows. I have two of them. I love them. I don't record guitars at my home studio often but with vocals I don't have any issues at all with fan noise. I record my vocals probably 3 feet away from the display. Again, I don't think I've ever heard the fans. maybe it will be different in the summer. 

That being said, there are a lot of displays that are nearly as good and when i say nearly i mean 95% as good for a lot cheaper with more flexibility. I whole heartedly regret not getting the mount adapter version and I have the tilt and height adjust version. It just future proofs your setup. I'm wanting to get a new studio desk and gosh would it be a lot easier to decide if I had gotten the mount apple displays. 

The best part of the apple display is you 3 extra usb c slots so it gives you a lot of flexibility plus the studio display can be plugged into something thats daisy chained with thunderbolt. My second display stays plugged into the back of my focusrite red8line interface. 

I don't know what the nano texture glass is like as well I have the normal glass but when i was buying i saw a lot of people not like the nano glass on youtube. 

@StudioQ1 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the display! My question pertained to any kind of noise because I’ve seen complaints about all of those. It’s great to hear you found the fans aren’t audible and you don’t have either of those other issues.

In some cases people reported a buzzing sound which they weren’t able to solve. Others reported ground loop hum which was solved by using a ground lift adapter on the display or plugging their audio interface into the display rather than into the Mac.

I was thinking of getting the tilt and height version like you did. Do you know which arm you’d use if you had gotten the VESA mount version? I also know I’d get the standard glossy version as it looks sharper and is easier to clean that the nano texture.

You’re right there are much cheaper alternatives, but I was thinking of splurging on this for a couple of reasons. I thought it would be nice to experience 5k resolution for the sharpness. And the built in webcam, mic and speakers would be nice for video calls, especially having the call audio coming out of the display separate from my studio monitors. I’ve seen the webcam complaints and Continuity Camera is an option if that’s an issue. Overall it would be a big upgrade from the 23” 1080p display I’ve been using for a long time.

Edited by logicrules

I mean I absolutely love the display. As far as the the vesa mount thing it really depends if you have a desk you can clamp an arm onto if not your going to have to get a monitor stand (plenty of tilt and height adjustable ones on amazon that are much cheaper then apples) they dont look as good for sure but i promise this is a regret of mine personally. Its a display I plan to keep for 5-10 years as i think most people who buy this display use it like that and I just stress that I think the vesa mount stands are better as they let you configure to whatever future setup you have perfectly. also just saves you money. Tilt and Height Vesa tilt and height adjustable for 80$

• Like 1

Hey @StudioQ1. Thanks for the monitor arm suggestion and link. I will consider that. All the reviews I’d seen on this display were from people doing photo or video work, so it’s good to hear from someone using it in a recording setup and I appreciate your feedback on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...