How to zoom in a certain spot in Logic wihout ending up pulling your hair?

ozkanozmen
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi Folks!

Anyone knows how to zoom in to a certain area in in logic? I mean like: ''locked in, anchored'' kind of zooming?

I usually do this by selecting the locator, and zoom in with slider at the top right. But this method sometimes work other times not.

It is so frustrating when you zoom in and the spot you wanted to zoom, is either gone to the right or left and you need to re-find your spot again.

Thank you in advance.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 16.18.42.png

I generally zoom in a couple of different ways:

Ctrl key + mouse lasso the area I want to zoom in on. You can do this multiple times in a row, going further and further in.

At each step Logic stores the zoom spot/level, so you can zoom out in steps by Ctrl+clicking in an empty spot.

Unless you move away or zoom further in or out again, whereever you are is "locked" and stored as a navigation snapshot.

If it's a specific region or selection of regions, I select those regions (by lassoing them with the mouse, usually) and press the key command for "Zoom to fit Selection Vertically and Horizontally, store Navigation Snapshot".

This key command can also be used in conjunction with Command+A (select all) for a quick overview of the whole arrangement.

There's also a dedicated key command for this combination: "Zoom to fit all Contents, store Navigation Snapshot".

Alternatively, there's the smart "Toggle Zoom to fit Selection or All Contents", which basically combines the two on a toggle basis. I believe it's placed by default on the Z key.

Occasionally I use the regular horizontal and vertical zoom in/out key commands, but as a power user this is a bit slower.

The slowest is trying to use the mouse on the sliders.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Solution

When using the zoom sliders, or Command + Arrow up/down/left/right, the anchors are defined by: 

• [vertically] The top edge of the selected track,
  • [horizontally] The position of the playhead unless there's a selected region visible,
  • [horizontally] The left edge of the leftmost selected region if it's visible, 
  • [horizontally] The left edge of the pane if no playhead or selected regions are visible.

Otherwise I use Control + Option + drag to zoom in on the desired spot. 

• Love 1

I have fade zones ect enabled. I just click on the lower half of the track i want to zoom in which puts a marker where i want with the marquee tool. Then with my trackpad i just 2 finger scroll up/down and left/right while holding 'option'. 
The spot where i want to zoom in stays in the centre. 

• Love 1