Friends, part II

dkgross

simple, yet effective :) It'll be great to add the real drums/horns/strings whenver it's time to do the final versions. I did 8 demos for the client..they'll pick 2 finalists, and those will be redone in surround for a commercial.

gotta love the RMX drum grooves and sounds tho. Very inspirational. On trk 9, the bass is real (a bud of mine in Florida), I did the all the rest (including the Keyboard Cluster Horn Parts). lolol. Looking forward to getting an arranger and a few live players in for the final.

and..to publically answer a few PM's..

NO..I don't do everything myself......Why? Because I know my strengths and weaknesses, and, I love the collaborative aspect of music. Yeah..I can play...Can I rip an insane jazz piano track? nope. Can I chart out a complex horn/string arrangement? Nope. But...if I get the ideas out of my little pea brain into Logic that I'm 80% happy with, I'll bring in others to help finish it.

I love being a producer, and getting players and singers who are a hell of a lot better than me to play on my stuff. I hold my own in many ways, but I also know when I hear something better. I feel that way about mixing as well. Much rather get it close, then bring in someone I respect to finish the mix. Fresh ears are always a good thing.

And if I have budget, I love to Share The Luv and give some back :) I've been blessed that I've made a living doing music since I was 15.

" And if I have budget, I love to Share The Luv and give some back Smile I've been blessed that I've made a living doing music since I was 15 "

that's awesome man, congrats... that's an inspiration right there .. i'm 34 and still haven't had the chance.

I count my blessings everyday, especially the closer to 50 I get :) ..tho..in many ways, I feel a whole new musical developmental period on the horizion. I'm interested now in a lot of things I wasn't in earlier in my career.

I was very fortunate to have a few amazing musical mentors when I was very young. I learned what NOT to play as much as what TO play. Never had any desire to be a flashy soloist/front man, etc...quite content to sit in the back and lay down a supportive groove. but..the producing bug has bitten hard the last few years..so who the hell knows where THAT will take me :)

thanks for the compliments.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who helped on this project:

http://dovecreamoil.msn.com/Default.aspx?deeplink=createad

http://dovecreamoil.msn.com/moviemaker.aspx

http://dovecreamoil.msn.com/Default.aspx?deeplink=aboutcontest

you can download the 5 final mp3s they chose to use. When the two finalists are picked, I'll remix the tunes in 5.1 for broadcast (and probably add a few other instruments here and there). It's simple, groove oriented stuff..all there to support the VO.

and...for you budding filmmakers...you should enter the contest!!