X-Touch started acting up today

I have a Behringer X-Touch, that worked great. Now a couple of days ago I bouth a second hand Extender to get faders for 16 tracks. After some hassle with firmware update an looking into Logic it worked great.

Well just an hour ago the Cycle button stopped working. The keyboard shortcut works, just not the button among the transport buttons on the X-Touch. Then I noticed that the ASSIGNMENT display said "tr" and the Encoder assigh buttons don't work as expected. If i press TRACK the ASSIGNMENT display says "E_." if I press PAN/SURROUND the TRACK button lights up and the display says "CS" or is it "C5".

I have no idea what I have done, and no idea how to solve it. I did chuck com.apple.logic.pro.cs in Library, but to no avail. And I can't seem to find away to factory reset my X-Touch, does anyone know how?

Humbly, Ylan

Those are different modes the MCU can be in, which call up different features on the controls.

It’s worth reading the MCU manual in Logic’s control surfaces manual if you’re not sure of all the things it can do, but if you just want to reset it to your “normal” state, either try a “Rebuild Defaults” operation, or simply trash the installed control surfaces and have Logic detect and set them up as factory fresh.

8 minutes ago, des99 said:

Those are different modes the MCU can be in, which call up different features on the controls.

It’s worth reading the MCU manual in Logic’s control surfaces manual if you’re not sure of all the things it can do, but if you just want to reset it to your “normal” state, either try a “Rebuild Defaults” operation, or simply trash the installed control surfaces and have Logic detect and set them up as factory fresh.

I thank you profusely. I trashed my control surfaces.

I got the feeling it hadn't to do with Logic, silly me. But I realize I will have some reading to do since it looked alright at the start, then the encoder assign buttons started acting strangely again.

I will read up on it tonight.

Humbly, Ylan

• Like 1

Well,

I have tried Rebuild defaults. I have tried to delete installed control surfaces, and I deleted com.apple.logic.pro.cs but to no avail. This morning I started my X-Touch and my X-Touch Extender. They both started up looking good, with the scribble screens lighting up.

Now when I started logic with the control surfaces chucked, the X-Touch went dark as soon as Logic recognized it, with only the ring on the jog wheel being lit.

Humbly, Ylan

Edited by Ylan

Well,

I bit the bullet and chucked all Logic Pro X preferences, that is also the com.apple.logic10 file.

Now it works, but Logic wants me to download all samples, loops and bells and whistles again.

Humbly, Ylan

Well,

No solution, but nevertheless some good news. It's not hardware.

I installed Logic Pro X 10.4.8 on my old MBP 15" 2010, running High Sierra and the Behringer X-TOUCH worked as expected.

Humbly, Ylan

Edited by Ylan

I'm not really sure what you are experiencing, but I'd simplify and reset up your controller. Quit Logic and trash your CS prefs. Unplug the XT and Ext from your machine, and unplug any other MIDI controllers for now.

Run Logic. Make sure the Control Surface Setup Window has nothing in it.

Connect the main XT and turn it on. Verify that Logic sees it, and installs it, and the MIDI ports are correctly setup. Does it work as expected? If not, check the XT is in the correct MCU mode.

There's not really much more to do than that. Logic will always create a default set of assignments.

When the XT is working as expected, then plugin the Ext and turn that on. Verify it also gets recognised and installed, and position it on the same "row" as the main XT so both act as a group. Again, check the MIDI port settings of the EXT.

How are things working now?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, des99 said:

How are things working now?

Thank you ever so much, ds99, you have been so helpful.

I have other work to do right now and the X-Touch will have to wait for a couple of days. I bought a new USB C male to USB A female adapter and started it. It worked for a while, but then broke down again. Here's a film clip showing how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkh5Ue9Dv7M

I will have a look at it again tomorrow night.

Humbly, Ylan

Sirs and Madams,

And especially des99.

It is seemingly solved. It started I think when I changed the order of the X-Touch and the Extender in the Control Setup and possibly my Nektar Panorama T6. Now I have a laptop and have disconnected it from all my stationary gear, and Logic Pro X is apparently very sensitive to this.

Now after having tried all orders of turning things on it all works if I make sure that every MIDI device is started when I start Logic Pro X, I must never connect anything post Logic having started. I must turn off Logic before I disconnect anything, and I must never have Logic running when I connect gear. And I promise hence never to rearrange anything in Control Surfaces/Setup...

Humbly, Ylan

For anyone experiencing a similar problem, and perhaps explaining why I did not get it at once.

1) I think that the problem did not show itself instantly when I changed the order, but the next time I started Logic Pro X which was not the same day.
2) I realize now afterwards that I did hava a glitchy USB-cable making the problem finding difficult, but not the ones connected to my Behringer X-TOUCH or the EXTENDER but rather to my Nektar Panorama T6, I was so focused on the X-Touch that I didn't think to check that.

Humbly, Ylan