Some Ultrabeat Kits Don't React to Midi Note Length

ew1
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

When I load my own samples into Ultrabeat, the length of the midi note determines the length of the sample. If I hold a key down, I get the full sample but if I play a shorter note, I get a shorter version of the sample. However, there are some stock Ultrabeat kits (like Boutique 909 for example) where the sample does not react to the midi in this way. No matter how short the midi note is, Ultrabeat will play the entire sample. How can I change this?

Thanks

On 1/30/2024 at 8:23 AM, David Nahmani said:

For each voice, you need to turn on the Gate button. For some samples, you may also want to turn on the Sustain button in Env4. Those are the two buttons in red below: 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.22.22 AM.png

That works. Thanks David. By the way, when I click on this thread, I am shown the page as if I'm not logged in. At the moment, this only happens on this particular page.

If it's not too messy to ask another Ultrabeat question in this thread, I'd love to know the following:

How can you trim a sample's length within Ultrabeat? For example, if there's silence at the start of the sample, can you trim that? I'm sure it must be quite obvious to find by I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

2 hours ago, ew1 said:

How can you trim a sample's length within Ultrabeat? For example, if there's silence at the start of the sample, can you trim that?

Not a trim per-se....but there's a start point trigger function that is tied to velocity (Min/Max sliders in Oscillator 2).
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgsifdc01b86/mac

If you need to actually trim the sample, you'd need to do this in the Sample edit window (or Quick Sampler/Sampler - Ultrabeat kits/kit pieces (and other Sampler/DMD/DKD kit data can be used across multiple Logic "percussion" and sample playback instruments).

• Like 1

Oh yes. Thanks. I had found that already but didn't think that was the solution because the min and max sliders are for where the sample should start based only on a certain velocity so I ignored it. Of course, I should have realise that you could just drag BOTH the mix and max sliders to the desired starting point and that would provide a workaround. Still though, there should be a more straightforward one-slider way of doing this ideally.

• Like 1