Creating mono files from a stereo file

thirdspace
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hey folks

I have just tried the method I used to use for this and it's not working. Here's what I tried:

Copy/Convert the stereo file

Choose Interleaved to Split

Delete the .L and .R parts of the file name

What seems to be happening is that when the renamed mono file is dragged back into Logic, the region shows the original name of the mono file (with it's .L) and automatically creates a stereo track and imports the stereo file.

I could 'mono-size' the stereo track and bounce it using the Bounce button on the mixer, after switching the main out channel to mono I suppose but this seems a clumsy way to go about things. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• Solution

Are the left and right channel the same audio data? 

If yes then discard the .R file and rename the .L file, removing the .L extension. You're left with one mono file. 

If no then you have to sum L and R, meaning you have to bring back the stereo file to a Logic session and bounce to a mono file. 

Actually no - it's the old 'record a mic into Quicktime thing' that creates a stereo audio file with the audio on one channel.

But deleting the unwanted file is a good call.

Also - I have just changed Logic behaviour from saving as a Package to saving as a folder and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for the quick reply - I was pulling my last hairs out there 🤣

Fwiw, and maybe OT, but when these questions come up here (they do quite frequently), I often wonder what the purpose of this exercise really is, considering there’s an input format button on the audio track letting you choose exactly how you want to playback the stereo file…