New Mac M1 Studio Max is a glitchy mess w/ Logic

MattLeschuck

Just picked up a new M1 Mac Studio Max and am having problems with it in Logic.  Playback often gets really glitchy / stuttery and the cores max out on the CPU meter when this happens.  This is not just on big sessions but smaller ones too.  The same sessions on my 2018 Mac Mini played back with no issues.  Things i have found that seem to fix the problem:  Loading Logic with Rosetta and or using the built-in-output of the Mac.  All the plugins im using are Apple Silicon supported.  I have noticed when this happens a bunch of the plugin inserts stay blue, but the writing greys out in them (making them non responsive).   This bums me out as i was excited to make the step up to M series chips.  Im wondering if this is a USB C thing with the interface.  If any one has any info into this it would be greatly appreciated.  I can provide videos showing whats happening if needed.

Specs

Mac M1 Studio Max 32gb

Logic 10.8.1

Ventura 13.6.4 (latest)

Audient id14 MK1 

Any reason you haven't updated to Sonoma?

You mentioned a USB-C hub....
What's running thru it/connected to it?
Is the id14 the only audio interface in use?
Do you have MIDI controllers/a MIDI interface connected?
If so, what device(s)?
What 3rd-party plug-ins?

I don’t think Sonoma should be necessary. I choose to run Rosetta on Ventura with my M1 Studio Ultra for stability, less bugs, compatibility, and performance (Rosetta alone performs better than mixing and matching in Native) but you should be able to get Ventura working on that computer. When I run Logic in Native it’s generally good and is compatible with most of my software and hardware.

The fact that plugins aren’t loading in Native is interesting… just a hunch but did you install these plugins fresh, copy them over, or use Migration Assistant?

Edited by sunbrother

50 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

I don’t think Sonoma should be necessary. I choose to run Rosetta on Ventura with my M1 Studio Ultra for stability, less bugs, compatibility, and performance

Necessary no, but my experience was the reverse. Had all kinds of grief/annoyances with Ventura. Not necessarily "showstoppers", but a lot of weirdness and errors thrown by plugs.
Almost all of that disappeared with Sonoma.....so it's probably down to particular combos of soft and hardware that work with fewer issues on each OS/Mac.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Any reason you haven't updated to Sonoma?

You mentioned a USB-C hub....
What's running thru it/connected to it?
Is the id14 the only audio interface in use?
Do you have MIDI controllers/a MIDI interface connected?
If so, what device(s)?
What 3rd-party plug-ins?

No hub, the Audient is going directly into the Mac.  I have a Nektar Lx25 midi controller.  Plugins are mostly from Izotope, Toneboosters, Kilohearts and Softube.  A couple others sprinkled in, but they are all said to be silicon supported.

53 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

I don’t think Sonoma should be necessary. I choose to run Rosetta on Ventura with my M1 Studio Ultra for stability, less bugs, compatibility, and performance (Rosetta alone performs better than mixing and matching in Native) but you should be able to get Ventura working on that computer. When I run Logic in Native it’s generally good and is compatible with most of my software and hardware.

The fact that plugins aren’t loading in Native is interesting… just a hunch but did you install these plugins fresh, copy them over, or use Migration Assistant?

Plugins load fine in Native.  I should of been more descriptive, but when i switch from my Audient to the built in output for example mid session, the plugins load into this state.  After a couple minutes they all "activate" and are restored.  A behavior i have never seen before.   This never happened with my intel machines.  Also the sessions are really slow to load when using the interface.  

Full fresh install, only thing that was migrated was my user settings / information.  Plugins were all installed manually.  

I have done some research and this seems to be a known issue.. Just found this 20 page post regarding the same issue over here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audio-stutters-with-usb-dacs-on-macbook-m1-pro.42001/

Oh. The plugin activation thing sounds like part of the new behavior for only loading plugins as needed. They’ve been tinkering with this and you can trigger it when changing your interface. I feel like in Rosetta it takes longer but they’re all there when it’s complete whereas in Native it switches fast but loads the plugins in the background later. I haven’t tested it extensively but it’s probably not a sign of anything amiss.

I’d start by trying to borrow an interface known to work on M1 Ventura then, maybe a friend has one, even a basic one could help troubleshoot. I had one USB interface that I had to run on Thunderbolt with an adapter when I went from Intel Monterey to M1 Ventura because it flipped out and made all sorts of screeching noises. Luckily I had two other interfaces to troubleshoot with and narrow it down…

Edited by sunbrother