How do I assign logic drums to specific keys on a midi controller keyboard

ms54321
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

1 hour ago, oscwilde said:

What "Logic Drums" plug-in are you using?

Happy to use anything that will get me what I need, but the one I currently have loaded is the "Drum Kit Designer" in logic (the one with SoCal kit etc)

Drum Machine Designer is probably the easiest tool to use or you can load the kit in Sampler.
In both instruments, you can remap individual samples to notes or alter input/output notes.
The approaches are quite different in each plug-in, so go with what works for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Drum Machine Designer is probably the easiest tool to use or you can load the kit in Sampler.
In both instruments, you can remap individual samples to notes or alter input/output notes.
The approaches are quite different in each plug-in, so go with what works for you.

ok thanks, I'm pretty new to logic and this kind of stuff in general, would you have like a step by step of what I do to achieve it, or a few more pointers even. Many thanks

1. Choose File > New,
  2. In the "Create New Track" dialog select MIDI Software Instrument and make sure the 'Instrument' pop-up menu is set to Empty Channel Strip, and that Open Library is checked. 
  3. In the Library, choose a drum kit from the Drum Kit or Electronic Drum Kit categories. 
  4. Play notes on your keyboard. 

In most kits, the mapping follows the GM standard (General MIDI, which includes a standard for mapping MIDI notes to drums): 

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.14.20 PM.png

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:
  1. Choose File > New,
  2. In the "Create New Track" dialog select MIDI Software Instrument and make sure the 'Instrument' pop-up menu is set to Empty Channel Strip, and that Open Library is checked. 
  3. In the Library, choose a drum kit from the Drum Kit or Electronic Drum Kit categories. 
  4. Play notes on your keyboard. 

In most kits, the mapping follows the GM standard (General MIDI, which includes a standard for mapping MIDI notes to drums): 

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.14.20 PM.png

Thanks, so how do I then change the note mapping, like if I wanted snare on C1 instead of kick etc

55 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That gets a little complicated, so before I answer this, why do you want to change the mapping? There may be an easier way to achieve your ultimate goal, rather than change the instrument's mapping. 

So I'm trying to play live a left-hand boogie woogie pattern on my midi keyboard, I have a piano vst assigned to the keyboard in logic and I also want drums assigned so that, for example when playing the pattern in the chord of C I will be playing the notes C, C, E, C, G, C, A, G - the goal being that this will play as a piano pattern and at the same time a drum pattern (with C assigned to kick, E assigned to snare etc) so that I end up having a combined piano and drum pattern/accompaniment while I'm playing. And then I will do the same for the chords of F and G

Edited by ms54321

31 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok got it, thank you for the details. 

Then I would insert the MIDI FX "Scripter" and choose the preset "Drum Kit Designer Remapper".

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 1.22.05 PM.png

That works perfectly! Thank you so much 🙂

• Like 2