recording audio as midi

AndyH

I know there's a way of recording audio from my synth as a midi file, then playing it back and automating the filters etc on my synth in real time but I have no idea how to do it. Can someone please tell me how!? Thanks

Hi.

No. You can't record audio from your synth to (or even as) a MIDI file, nor can you play the recorded audio back and automate filters etc. on your synth (unless your synth has audio inputs an is capable of modulating something with audio).

Does that make sense?

Or did you mean perhaps something else?

See these threads:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=9066&highlight=motif

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=17517&highlight=motif

i

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

If you have a synth, it presumably has MIDI capability already. Are you trying to get its MIDI signal into Logic, OR are you trying to generate MIDI code from an audio file you created using your synthesizer?

If you want to generate MIDI code from an audio signal, then you're going to need specialized software to do it. Other than detecting a tempo or simple rhythm, Logic is simply not capable of distilling MIDI from audio; it was not designed to do that. Melodyne is the best app for that, AFAIK. The full-blown studio product costs more than Logic, and there's a reason. Melodyne's audio analysis capabilities are vastly greater than Logic's, as that's its primary function. As an audio sequencer Logic blows Melodyne out of the water, as that's Logic's primary function.

You gotta use the right tool for the job. There's not always a cheap way, and even when there is, most cheap ways don't do it nearly as well as the right tool. That's just how things are.

Thanks, I really appreciate everyone getting back to me.

Homina- no, you didn't misunderstand me: I am trying to generate midi code from an audio output. The reason I thought it was possible on logic is that, when I recorded with an old band and had no experience of logic, I remember using a sound I'd created on my snyth (I use an Oberheim OB-12 if it's of any use to know!), recording a take and then playing it back (or perhaps somehow re-recording the take as an audiof file) whilst changing the controllers on my synth and therefore the timbre of the sound. Obviously, the producer must have been using melodyne software or equivalent and I just wrongly presumed he was doing it directly in logic.

Thanks again,

Andy

You can record your synth's output as a MIDI file, an audio file, or both.

The resulting MIDI file can be used to trigger whatever software or hardware instrument you have, including your synth. As the file's playing you can change an instrument's settings - and the sound - to your heart's content.

Once recorded an audio file is fixed except for effects you could apply to it.

It's possible, but very unlikely that a producer was using Melodyne on the fly on an audio file. It would add a very substantial processing burden to the sequencer, and its application is primarily to monophonic tracks like a voice or single-voice instrument. It's far more likely a MIDI file was being routed back into your synth after having been recorded.

The resulting MIDI file can be used to trigger whatever software or hardware instrument you have, including your synth. As the file's playing you can change an instrument's settings - and the sound - to your heart's content.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about! So would I still need extra software or is it something that can be done without? Sorry if I'm going round in circles...

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about! So would I still need extra software or is it something that can be done without? Sorry if I'm going round in circles...

Ok, let's reduce it to a simple question: Does your synthesizer have a MIDI output? If you are not sure about it, tell us its name and manufacturer...

yeah it has midi outputs, and I use an Oberheim Ob-12.

Good... And have you got a MIDInterface connected to your Mac? And two appropriate wires to connect MIDI OUT of the synthesizer to MIDI IN of the interface an vice versa? When these connections are made, you can record MIDI tracks in Logic and play them back using the synthesizer. If you want to change parameters, you will have to insert SysEx messages in your MIDI track. This can be done using the Event Editor. You can also define SysEx-Faders in the Environment. Maybe the Synthesizer outputs SysEx messages when you change parameters within its built-in user interface. Several ways, but you will need to spend some time with learning how both Logic and your synthesizer work...

Good luck.

Hey Jope, yeah my midi is all set up properly and I understand how it works; same goes with my synth, which I've been using for a few years. The thing is- and this is probably the simplest part- what specifically do I need to do to play the midi track back through my synth without selecting a soft synth from Logic itself (and therefore triggering that sound) rather than one I created on my synth? Sorry if I'm sounding stupid! You're right, though- I do need to spend time learning how logic and my synth work...

Hey Jope, yeah my midi is all set up properly and I understand how it works; same goes with my synth, which I've been using for a few years. The thing is- and this is probably the simplest part- what specifically do I need to do to play the midi track back through my synth without selecting a soft synth from Logic itself (and therefore triggering that sound) rather than one I created on my synth? Sorry if I'm sounding stupid! You're right, though- I do need to spend time learning how logic and my synth work...

EITHER the region you recorded is on an Audio Instrument track - in this case, it will be played back on the soft synth you inserted into the channel strip.

OR it is on a MIDI track, then the recorded (or manually inserted) MIDI Events will be sent to MIDI OUT to make your external synthesizer play them.

Assuming you've recorded a MIDI track and not an audio file, and that you're using Logic Pro 8, try this:

- Create a new external MIDI track. It's the last of three options you have when you create tracks - audio, software instrument, or external MIDI.

- Option+click+drag the MIDI region from the track you've recorded onto the new track. This will copy the region to the new track and leave the original intact. (Logic will not permit you to copy an audio file to a MIDI track.)

- If the new track is not selected, select it. Click on the triangle next to the external instrument's track name to open its options. This is on the dual-channel strip at the far left side of Logic's Arrange screen. If the strip is not there, toggle the Inspector button to open it.

- From the "Port" popup menu, select the interface that you're using to send/receive MIDI. Since you've already recorded something from your synth, I presume you're familiar with the MIDI interface you're using, and that it's properly connected. Your synth may also BE the device, depending on how it's connected.

- From the track's "Channel" popup menu, pick a MIDI channel or set it to ALL if you're not sure about it.

- If your synth is connected to the device you selected and set to the appropriate channel, then when you play the external instrument track, the MIDI info should be sent to your synth, and you should hear it as if you were playing it manually. If not, you may also need to change your synth to "local control" or its equivalent in order for incoming MIDI to be routed to your sound module, rather than keyboard input. Read your synth's manual to find out how to do that.

If none of the above works, then I'm out of ideas.

Ok, so maybe its not as clear as I thought. I'm using logic 7.2 rather than 8 but thought I could work it out. Obviously not.

I can find the 'channel' menu and have set it to 'all', and regarding the port it all seems ok- I can play a software instrument if I want so I guess that means its set correctly.

What I can't seem to work out is this- is there a difference with creating a new track with an audio instrument or creating a separate midi track? There doesn't appear to be a separate midi track option (only audio, audio instrument and rewire), so surely I just use a standard channel and don't select a softsynth?

On the transport bar, I can play my synth and it shows the 'midi in' notes I play but whatever I do it always shows 'no out' underneath.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. I've spent ages reading the reference guide and trying to work it out myself but I'm feeling defeated.

Hi.

Please read the threads that I already searched for you. It's all there.

Answer to your question is that you won't be able to assign channels to MIDI tracks before you create either one Instrument or one Multi Instrument into your Environment. So create Multi Instrument object into your Environment. Name it and set the port to match your needs. Then go back to Arrange and click-hold any of your tracks to assign that track to a Multi Instrument you just created.

Difference between Audio Instrument track and MIDI track is that the latter routes the MIDI data out from Logic using the MIDI channel you have selected.

Any help?

i

Ok, so maybe its not as clear as I thought. I'm using logic 7.2 rather than 8 but thought I could work it out. Obviously not.

I can find the 'channel' menu and have set it to 'all', and regarding the port it all seems ok- I can play a software instrument if I want so I guess that means its set correctly.

What I can't seem to work out is this- is there a difference with creating a new track with an audio instrument or creating a separate midi track? There doesn't appear to be a separate midi track option (only audio, audio instrument and rewire), so surely I just use a standard channel and don't select a softsynth?

On the transport bar, I can play my synth and it shows the 'midi in' notes I play but whatever I do it always shows 'no out' underneath.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. I've spent ages reading the reference guide and trying to work it out myself but I'm feeling defeated.

Ok, I'm out of practice with external MIDI stuff, since the Internal Audio iInstruments and third-party-AUs are all I need, but let's see. I just plugged the XS-Key and started 7.2.3.

Open an Arrange Window. Have you got already a recorded MIDI-Region on a track? Good. The track has a number (upper left corner) and a name (near the number in the middle). Click-hold the name, a menu will appear. Are there "MIDI Instruments" available? If not, you can create one in the Environment. To do so, open the Environment window, select the "MIDI Instruments" or "All Objects" layer and use the menu "New -> Instrument". The new object is selected and in the box on the left you can choose a MIDI channel and a port (if there are more than one available); when you double-click "(Instrument)" in the top of the box you can give it a name. The rest doesn't matter now.

Back to the Arrange window you should find the new instrument in the track header's menu. Choose it and all MIDI events should be routed to the selected port and channel.