How do I configure latest version of Logic Pro to see and respond to CC#24?

efiebke
Go to solution Solved by efiebke,

Hello -

I recently purchased an M2 MAX Mac Studio (with 96 GBs RAM) and I'm currently in the process of getting it set-up for my humble audio-sequencing projects. Of course, this involved downloading (again) the Logic Pro program. (I'm doing a fresh install of all of my programs.) I use a lot of VSL's virtual instruments (VIs) for my projects. I have configured within VSL's Vienna Instruments Pro program to use CC#24 to serve as a master filter (and volume) for its VIs. For good or for bad, it has become a long-established part of my workflow (and it meets my modest needs) when sequencing the orchestral instruments housed within the Vienna Instruments Pro program. For some reason it seems that Logic Pro is not seeing the CC#24 data. It's as if Logic Pro is filtering out the CC#24 data (and other nearby CC data). I hold a vague recollection that, in the past, I had to configure Logic Pro to see the CC#24 data. Unfortunately, I can't find where (or IF) I can "unfilter" Logic Pro in order to see CC#24 data. 

I'm using the latest version of Logic Pro (10.8.1). It's what was downloaded from the Apple web-site. For good or for bad, my new M2 MAX Mac Studio came with the Sonoma macOS which is now updated to its latest version, 14.3. 

Is it possible to configure the latest version of Logic Pro to properly work with CC#24 data? If so, can someone please direct me to where I can configure Logic Pro to see and properly use this (and other) CCs??

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Kind Regards,
Ted

PS. . . Been using Logic Pro, on and off, for many years. I used to own the Platinum version of Logic Pro when it was owned by eMagic. I believe that I still have the floppy disks to this old version. They're hidden deep within my closet somewhere. LOL!

What device is generating the CC data? Is it a control surface and defined in Logic as such?

If you hit record and generate the CC data, does it get recorded into a region?

What happens if you try Logic -> Control Surfaces -> Bypass All Control Surfaces?

• Like 1

• Solution

des 99 -

First, thank you for your reply. I'm happy to say that I believe that I found the solution and all is well. I hope. For anyone who might experience a similar issue, this is what I ended up doing:

1) I went into "Controller Assignments" of Logic Pro

2) Fiddled with the the CC#24 fader on my happy AKAI MPK88 controlling Keyboard so that Logic Pro can "see" it

3) Saw that it was assigned to K3 (Smart Control #3)

4) Under MIDI In-put Message, I took a WILD GUESS and changed the parameter to 24. so that it looks like this under "value change": B0 24 Lo7.

I verified within the Vienna Instrument Pro plug-in that CC#24 was indeed being properly controlled within Logic Pro. So, it seems that everything is working as intended. Hopefully. For now.

Now onto music-sequence-making for a cooking video that my wife and I are working on. 🙂 

Cheers! 🙂 

Ted

• Like 2

Looks like you had the controller being recognised by Logic as supported, and automatically mapped. You can turn that off in the preferences for that controller, if you don't want that behaviour. And yes, with that turned off, Logic won't be intercepting those MIDI messages to use for Smart Controls.

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, efiebke said:

Under MIDI In-put Message, I took a WILD GUESS and changed the parameter to 24. so that it looks like this under "value change": B0 24 Lo7.

It might be useful for you to know that by doing that, you have changed that Smart Control to be controlled by cc36 now, i.e. "b0 24" being the hex value for cc36, while cc24 in hex  reads "b0 18". (Just in case you're trying to use also cc36 for your instruments)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JakobP said:

It might be useful for you to know that by doing that, you have changed that Smart Control to be controlled by cc36 now, i.e. "b0 24" being the hex value for cc36, while cc24 in hex  reads "b0 18". (Just in case you're trying to use also cc36 for your instruments)

I was concerned about this. However, at this point, I'm not using CC36 for any of my instruments. Yet.

CC24, on the other hand, is used often for my VSL's VIs. 
Thank you. 🙂 

Edited by efiebke