Track Alternatives selected via a controller or control surface?

DocMidi657

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how/if different "Track Alternatives" could be selected via a controller or control surface? Even moving up or down by two buttons would be great. Just wanted to avoid using the mouse and selecting via the drop down menu and then making a selection. We are looking to use Logic Pro to process our Live Stream but we typically only have 1 sound man available and he is primarily mixing for FOH.  What we looking to try is get the mixes for the 5 songs we do mixed and set at our rehearsal and then use the Track Alternatives feature in Logic to save each song as 1 of 5 track alternatives. Then switch thru them via a control surface which would our sound tech mixing for FOH could easily handle for each sing when we are live.

Thanks so much!

Dave

2 hours ago, DocMidi657 said:

What we looking to try is get the mixes for the 5 songs we do mixed and set at our rehearsal and then use the Track Alternatives feature in Logic to save each song as 1 of 5 track alternatives.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but if I'm understanding you correctly, this is not something that will work. Track alternatives choose different *recorded takes* to be active, and change nothing about the mixer channel strip.

If you are looking to process your live stream, with different *mixes* (which is all about the mixer, not recorded tracks), track alternates is not going to do that. Have you used this feature? The thing is that it's "Track" alternatives, not "Mix" or "Channel Strip" alternatives. That's the stuff recorded on a track.

Or are you doing playback from Logic from recorded audio tracks, rather than performing live?

More on Track Alternatives:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/101922

54 minutes ago, DocMidi657 said:

Does anyone know how/if different "Track Alternatives" could be selected via a controller or control surface? 

There are key commands to cycle through them, so theoretically this should be possible

image.thumb.png.fcbf8a76f202ca183d67ed54c4f9d8cf.png

These are applied to the currently selected tracks.

But as @des99 already pointed out, this doesn't seem to do what you are trying to achieve, as switching track alternatives won't change anything in your mix (unless you're controlling your whole mix via region based automation in regions that live on the track alternatives, but I'm sure you don't want to do that 😉 ).

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

Thanks all of you guys so much for your help.  I did a test when switching between 2 track alternates and set the mixer with different plugs and to volume levels for each alternative ...and when I switch between the two track alternatives the mixer does load up and changed to reflect those changes between the two so I think this will work with each song we do live (unless I am missing something please let me know). 

Sorry I should clarify..I am using "Project Alternatives" not Track alternatives to accomplish this!

2 minutes ago, DocMidi657 said:

I did a test when switching between 2 track alternates and set the mixer with different plugs and to volume levels for each alternative ...and when I switch between the two track alternatives the mixer does load up and changed to reflect those changes between the two

I don't believe that until I see a video 😉

...or are you really talking about Project Alternatives?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DocMidi657 said:

I did a test when switching between 2 track alternates and set the mixer with different plugs and to volume levels for each alternative

So did I. 🙂

...and when I switch between the two track alternatives the mixer does load up and changed to reflect those changes between the two

It did not here (nor did I expect it to) - hence my post. You'll also read *nothing* about mixer state in the docs I linked to...

So yes, if you'd like to demo how you did this, we'd all be interested... 😉

Sorry I should clarify..I am using "Project Alternatives" not Track alternatives to accomplish this!

Oh.. well that's something *completely* different..!