G4 is much softer!

JacoBirdTrane

10 minutes ago, fisherking said:

where is it softer? on all instruments? on your monitors?

is there something with your workspace, where that frequency dips? (altho the @oscwilde tip is the first place to start...)

Thanks for quick response 

ok it’s my finger tapping the trackpad on the Mac 

G4 is unusually unacceptably softer than other surrounding notes 

remember I’m clueless about about tech but sharp with music 

keyboards can vary slightly for acoustically or mechanical reasons

The difference in volume db between G4 And adjacent notes ( G#4 F# etc ) is extreme 

Electric pianos?
Logic's Vintage Electric Piano?
A Sampler instrument....or a third-party EP instrument?

Remember we're sharp with tech, but clueless about what you're doing/using.....so are reliant on what you tell us in order to offer advice/potential solutions.

• Love 1

Sorry if the word sharp was off putting.  It’s just that there is such an extreme difference in knowledge and experience 

anywho. Classic electric piano

at g4 is softest and G#4 is also softer 

on hardware based keyboards there are mechanical and or acoustic reasons why a note might be louder 

The degree of softened of the G4 would incline me not to use that sound at all

the Bosendorfer piano is ok on the G4. So this appears to be a locale issue to that electric piano 

I have not gone through every piano or sound 

as time passes I will 

but for now the Classic electric piano is not playable at G4 and G#4 

Again this is just my first attempt using the TRACKPAD!!

I am looking forward to using a dedicated midi keyboard to trigger ( is that the correct term. Trigger ) the Logic Pro sounds 

BTW I’ve owned a few fender Rhodes pianos 

and ever one of them varied in terms of shall we say good bad ok awful and wonderful 

some Rhodes I would not want to play at all

i worked with an artist who successfully used Rhodes suitcase 88. And he hired a piano tech to adjust the Rhodes action 

anyway thank you for your help 

Edited by JacoBirdTrane

28 minutes ago, JacoBirdTrane said:

Sorry if the word sharp was off putting

Not the wording, just the lack of information....regardless of the level of experience.
No-one here is omniscient, so we're all reliant on the info provided by other posters to formulate ideas and potential solutions to any given problem.
Without detail, we're firing off shots in the dark.

WRT the trackpad as the trigger...modern Macbooks are velocity and pseudo pressure (aftertouch) sensitive.
Your trackpad "force click" settings may need a tweak if this is a factor:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/102309

As an alternative input method in the absence of a MIDI controller keyboard, try musical typing.
Is the Classic EP consistent from a volume perspective on the G4/G#4 notes?
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcpb19cbd34/mac

• Love 1

So I tried it with the Vintage Electric Piano in default setting, no patch, and the G4 plays at -25.7 db while surrounding notes are around -21 db, pretty audible. However, other presets (e..g. "Bright Suitcase") works fine here... 

EDIT Ok, found several others now that show the same glitch, not sure why this is happening...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We've had this issue in another forum a couple of weeks ago.

In that case it was a Sampler instrument and it turned out that the volume on the zones for those notes had to be increased. I know, I know... we couldn't believe it either, but that's what it was... on the factory library...

Perhaps it's the same in this case?

• Love 1

8 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Only in specific models.
Wondering if the modeling was designed to replicate the misalignment of pickups or a popular pickup modification (overlapping pickups)....although you'd expect this to cover a range, rather than a note

Oscar.  I’ve owned these in the distant past . I’ve played a number of Rhodes ( you could call me a Rhodes ahem Scholar)   I don’t recall such a disparity between adjacent notes - and G and G# 4 is pretty important note range  but frankly ANYWHERE it is unacceptable 

that said I like the logic Rhodes offerings  I’d say based on distant memories I PREFER the logic Rhodes , to some of the actual Rhodes! That’s right . I hope this glitch can be addressed someday 

trivia my former bandleader Eumir Deodato (Brazilian / NYC) ended a composition of his, on two notes several octaves apart on an 88 suitcase  i think the lowest E on Rhodes and a very high G. Not sure if the highest G or an octave lower.

just two notes, and on the Rhodes it sounded quite good. Of course he was in genius territory 

Edited by JacoBirdTrane

• 4 weeks later...

So is this an acknowledged bug?

Mainstage 3.6.6, M1 Mac Mini, MacOS 14.2

Classic EP (doesn't matter which model): notes lose volume, starting with D3 going to F3 being completely inaudible, and then volume returning above A3

Midi message for these notes is being sent at 127, and channel strip fader shows signal (-3db max) but no sound at all.

3 hours ago, MMCCLUNG64 said:

Mainstage 3.6.6, M1 Mac Mini, MacOS 14.2

Classic EP (doesn't matter which model): notes lose volume, starting with D3 going to F3 being completely inaudible, and then volume returning above A3

I'm not seeing this here (does anyone except @MMCCLUNG64?). Especially not the “completely inaudible” part

3 hours ago, MMCCLUNG64 said:

Midi message for these notes is being sent at 127, and channel strip fader shows signal (-3db max) but no sound at all.

Any phase cancelling going on after your E-Piano instrument plug-in? 

Edited by polanoid

On 2/15/2024 at 11:55 AM, oscwilde said:

Only in specific models.

I'm seeing the specific drop on G4 only in the Deluxe Classic model. I don't even know what original hardware is modelled here (does anyone here know and has played the original?), so I can't say if that might even be intentional. 

On 2/15/2024 at 1:40 AM, JacoBirdTrane said:

the Bosendorfer piano is ok on the G4

Bösendorfer Piano <-> electric piano == Apples <-> Oranges

• Like 1