Logic x Analog Summing Monitoring/Workflow

TeddyRuxpin

Hello, looking for advice from Logic users that use a mixer or analog summing. How do you monitor the signal?

I ask as I often have a limiter or a bunch of mastering on the master bus - how would these be monitored?

I currently mix with an I/O plugin on the master with an SSL Bus Comp and a couple of other analog pieces chained, and then my usual plugin chain after that. Having the mastering chain on as part of the mix is a big part of my workflow and I need to be able to maintain the ability to monitor this while actually mixing. Even if it's just a limiter.

Are you using live input monitoring on a return 'print' track, then applying your mastering chain 'live'?

Or perhaps you're using the I/O plugin on the master stereo bus in Logic, with only the 'inputs' set (assuming it works this way)? Then your mastering chain after that? This approach is what I was thinking of using, though I need to test the I/O plugin to see if it works with only an input set.

Also, how is the latency, given that most of the time I'd switch to 1024 buffer?

Thanks for any advice you can give on your workflow!

Ed

* Please, let's not turn this into a debate on analog summing - if you don't believe in it, please consider it just to be a thought experiment on how to route/monitor in Logic. Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

So basically, you are mixing into the 2Buss and monitoring thru your speakers/headphones via the output of your interface. 

I have experimented with a mixer, a Dangerous DBox+, and with each external processor (compressors/EQ's/Limiters/etc assigned to individual I/O plugins.  It all comes down to tracking so that very little needs 'fixed in the mix.'   I actually use three audio interfaces (8channels each). One has the outputs dedicated to the DBox+, one was dedicated to four stereo processors using the I/O plugins, and the third one for general use.  There are many places to monitor (with headphones) depending on what is going on at the time. 

I probably didn't answer your question.  In the end, you either get a good mix or you don't regardless of how you got there.