Record midi ( maybe audio ) no metronome

I date back to recording with no click track and recall when they added click tracks and they never looked back. 

HOWEVER I have no interest in hearing or conforming to a metronome aka click

the only “catch”. How to see a score of my rambling creations that are not complete rhythmic gibberish 

you know double dotted notes crossing over a bar line. 128th notes etc

i understand there are workarounds. And invite discussion about them. This is about non metronome non disco ( lol ) music 

I can play in time. But want the artistic freedom to ignore metronomic machine time 

flex??

thanks 

'Flex' is a close guess in that it's the exact opposite of what you need here. Basically, you have two options:

1. Use Logic's 'Smart Tempo' functionality. Depending on the complexity of the music and the technical 'quality' of the transients you may get good results with obscenely little effort. However, the times I have tried to use it, I have found that if it guesses wrong, it's quite difficult to convince it otherwise. But that may be just me.

2. Beat Mapping is the polar opposite of Flex. Flex matches the recording to the grid, Beat Mapping matches the grid to the recording. Read more here:

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I still have a T-shirt which shows an "utterly impossible" thirty-second-note transcription of about two seconds of actual music. (Along with another shirt which shows a blank stave with the word, "Staff."

"A click track" is a helpful reference point to guide your performance – real or virtual – but it should be no more "a religious thing" than "quantization." They once invented a device which could lock both note-duration and note-timing, and they called the thing a "drum machine." It sounded exactly as the name implied.