Is plugin latency cumulative?

guavadude

Add this to things I should know by now...

If I have a plugin with 50 samples of latency on one track, and on a different track have a different plugin with 50 samples latency, is my total latency now 100 samples? Or is a peak latency hit from the plugin with the highest latency?

Disregard the ability to use low latency mode please. 

Everything needs to be delayed by an appropriate amount for all the audio signal streams to end up at the same time. If one track is delayed 100ms, then *everything* needs to be delayed by 100ms to line up. If one track is delayed 100ms, one track delayed 50ms, and the rest not delayed, then the second track needs to be delayed by an additional 50ms, and all the other tracks by 100ms, for everything to line up.

So as always - it depends.

And don't forget that in your mix, quite a lot of latency scenarios don't actually delay the signal at all, as they are compensated for by reading the tracks out *early* by the required amount.

As you can imagine, it's fairly complex in a busy mix with complicated routings.

19 minutes ago, guavadude said:

If I have a plugin with 50 samples of latency on one track, and on a different track have a different plugin with 50 samples latency, is my total latency now 100 samples?

No, it's 50 samples, as everything else except those two tracks need to be delayed by 50 samples for everything to line up.

• Like 1

Great, thx. I try to use only low latency plugins while composing and tracking. That way my I can mix as I go and make decisions tracking while hearing the music as it's going to sound and not use LLM.

My mastering channel has a ton of latency because of the limiters so I just delete those plugins if I need to go back to tracking and composing. 

Can I see the amount of plugin delay anywhere? I still hate that Logic changed the delay readout from samples and milliseconds to a decimal readout of seconds. Makes it way harder to compute if a plugin is adding more latency that I prefer. 

Edited by guavadude

You can disable (on/off) the masterbus plugins that have latency, you can enable them again when bouncing/recording.

I agree that the ms readout of latency that has been changed to sec readout is a bummer. Hoping it will be fixed soon. Was introduced at Logic Pro 10.7+ I think

It would be great if there was some box/view option for a latency total for the project calculated from instrument/input to final output. So your audio card driver latency + all serial latency calculated. 

BTW SSL X Limit is 0 zero samples latency when not using TruePeak mode

8 minutes ago, Septic Underground said:

You can disable (on/off) the masterbus plugins that have latency

No. Latency still occurs with plugins on Outputs and Auxes, unless you actually remove these plugins or use LLM. Bypassing them does not remove their processing latency, although it does seem to remove their lookahead delay.

• Like 2