Preparing a used Mac Studio for Logic - stay on Monterey or go to Ventura?

Hi all, I've just bought a used Mac Studio M1 Ultra, which currently has Monterey installed. The 2013 Mac Pro I'm replacing also has Monterey running well with no plug in issues, but can't run the latest version of Logic Pro.

Is it worth stepping up to Ventura on the Mac Studio so I can run the latest version of Logic? I'm planning on doing a complete fresh install of everything else on the Mac Studio, including plugins (there goes a weekend!) rather than migrating from the old Mac. 

My initial thought was to remain on Monterey, but maybe it's best to start by upgrading to Ventura, then install Logic and all my plugins. I could also bypass Ventura and go straight to Sonoma, but I'm a little wary of doing this, as I doubt everything I use is fully compatible yet, including graphics programs I use daily for work.

Just looking to start with as smooth an experience as I can, definitely don't want to be troubleshooting technical issues if at all possible once I set this up. I'm keen to just dive in and start working with the extra power this upgrade is going to provide, so any experiences anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. 

Edit: After reading a few of the existing threads here now I'm tempted to go straight to Sonoma, seems like it's pretty good right now.

Edited by Spiralsurfer

Hi there,

I very recently faced a similar situation, though Im on intel. I guess it comes down to how much you're keen to get going on the latest Logic which requires at least Ventura. I decided to skip going directly to Sonoma because of known graphics issues, but that seems to be an intel thing. Ventura got a real bad rap when it was first released and I wasn't keen to bite the bullet. I was really pleased with Monterey, but now Im finding Ventura pretty good as well. A lot of people hated the new Preference area. In fact I really like it, so, so far Ventura is not too bad.

If it was me on AS, Id still go Ventura first, but thats just me. Also very wise to consider compatibilty if you dont want to be a beta tester.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Think I'll probably go to Ventura and see how it performs, then possibly go to Sonoma in another 6 months. I like the idea of going straight to the latest mac OS in theory, but past experience has taught me that's not usually such a great idea. There's almost always something that doesn't quite work as expected! 

• 3 weeks later...

As it happens when the Mac Studio arrived it had Sonoma preinstalled, not Monterey as advertised, so I went with it as is and did a clean install of everything. After a couple of weeks use I'm happy to report that it's running great, with no issues with any major third party plugins. I did finally lose the use of my ancient Maschine MK I controller, but that wasn't even supposed to work on Monterey on my old MacPro, so I figure I had a good run with that.