Recordings Inside Track Stacks Late by Project Latency

Any recording, audio or MIDI, recorded within a Track Stack will be delayed after recording stops. The amount corresponds to the overall project latency. 

it’s not a monitoring issue- it occurs even when Software monitoring is off

Tested on 10.8.1, likely started much earlier as I’m seeing posts about it from 4 to 5 years ago.

I sent a feedback form. If anyone else runs into this I advise others do too, and try to be specific that it’s not a monitoring issue. 

Edited by sunbrother

After further testing this appears to have some kind of prerequisite. I've been doing audio editing and overdubs in the same session all day with only minimal changes to its plugins. Logic gets into some sort of state occasionally where this will happen within Track Stacks and not outside of them.

After some more testing and research it looks like the real bug here is that aux/bus routing can cause unrelated tracks that are monitoring in time to be recorded late. They don’t always have to be within Track Stacks, but it was required in my first few test cases.

I guess is a longstanding set of poor design decisions/potential bugs that are summarized in this post:

The workaround is to use *both* “Compensation: Audio and Software Instrument Tracks” and Low Latency Monitoring mode at the same time. Just using LLM with a track within a Track Stack (if there are latent aux/bus routings in the song) will often result in audio monitoring in time but recording late. This is also regardless of whether one is actually using Software Monitoring or not. I guess these two settings force Logic to disable plugins it always accounts for (a design issue) while ignoring aux/bus latency which has some bugs.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:54 AM, sunbrother said:

The workaround is to use *both* “Compensation: Audio and Software Instrument Tracks” and Low Latency Monitoring mode at the same time

My experience is quite different. If I don't set Compensation to "All", I will always have delayed recordings if I record with a latency-inducing plugin (e.g. Ad Limiter with 200 ms lookahead) inserted somewhere in the signal path.