Ignoring particular track from Stereo Out effect chain?

bencuri

I would like to know if it is possible to exclude a track from the Stereo Out effect chain, or a part of that chain?

My problem is that I am mastering a song, and I put Korvpressor to the Stereo Out. I created a perfect master for me, I don't want to touch that final sound any way, I want to leave as it is. The only problem is that one of my vocal channels that is a minor commentator voice channel is behaving oddly in the final master: Korvpressor is pulling the beginnings of comments up for some reason, introducing a kind of breathing compression effect there. It is just really problematic at 1 point, though. As a solution I came up with the idea to exclude that vocal track from the final mastering plugin chain, and add it as a side channel in the end. I think it will work, as that track comes into play for just 3-4 seconds in the whole song. 

So is it possible to exclude that track? Or I need to create a separate AUX before the Stereo Out to master all the tracks on a common channel, and lead that and the commentator voice into Stereo Out afterwards?

Short answer: no (i think)

Start over. Save project as folder and include all assets in folder when saving. Make a copy of your project/folder. (To not accidentally mess with your project)
Open the new duplicated project. 
Disable all plugins on stereo out. Do a better mixing job of your project. Get busy with your high pass filters on individual channels. Take care of all loud audio/spikes in your mix. If you have a decent mix, the mastering process should not alter it too much. Just make it louder, compress it a bit, even out the mix and tonal adjustments. 

Maybe all you need is to play with compressor on the stereo out. 

It helps if you bounce the mix to a stereo file (without any mastering) and import it into a new empty Logic project. This way you can see the waveform. If it has too many large spikes in the waveform, that is why the compressor/limiter is struggling in your master chain. 

4 hours ago, bencuri said:

I would like to know if it is possible to exclude a track from the Stereo Out effect chain, or a part of that chain?

If you have more than one output on your audio interface, you could set that track to use some other output.

Alternatively, use a master bus before the stereo output (which may be what you mean by "a separate aux"). I commonly have everything sending to a "master" bus that has my main bus compressor and EQ on. The master bus outputs to the Stereo Out strip, which has no effects on it (until mastering, because the Mastering Assistant will only insert on the Stereo Out). If you use that approach, you could route your track direct to Stereo Out while all the other tracks route to the master bus.

The easiest way to insert a master bus is to use the mixer view, and select all the tracks and group buses that should route to the master. Then you can change all the outputs in one go to a new bus, and Logic will create a new channel strip for you with that new bus as input.

Edited by mothershout
Quick additional explanation

1 hour ago, Mania said:

Short answer: no (i think)

Start over. Save project as folder and include all assets in folder when saving. Make a copy of your project/folder. (To not accidentally mess with your project)
Open the new duplicated project. 
Disable all plugins on stereo out. Do a better mixing job of your project. Get busy with your high pass filters on individual channels. Take care of all loud audio/spikes in your mix. If you have a decent mix, the mastering process should not alter it too much. Just make it louder, compress it a bit, even out the mix and tonal adjustments. 

Maybe all you need is to play with compressor on the stereo out. 

It helps if you bounce the mix to a stereo file (without any mastering) and import it into a new empty Logic project. This way you can see the waveform. If it has too many large spikes in the waveform, that is why the compressor/limiter is struggling in your master chain. 

This is not a solution because I am an amateur and I can rarely mix something to sound perfect for me. In case of the recent song I could achieve it, but I have no big experience in tracking and mastering, so anything I do will just mess the good result up I fear. Moreover in the genre concerned I am not even satisfied with the official mixes on albums either. This is the first time I am completely satisfied, it is only a bonus that I could achieve it somehow, even if it is a dumb way. But I find it possible that in case I would start over with proved methods, I might not get the same outcome. Something like: different strokes for different folks. 

The little error I mentioned with the vocal is a very small issue in this circumstance, at worst case I can just switch that channel off because it is a vocal that is not necessary. 

I can think of two ways to deal with this issue. 

1. Set the output of all tracks that are routed to Stereo Out to a bus, which creates a new Aux. Move all Stereo out plug-ins to that Aux. Take the one track you want to exclude from those plug-ins and route it straight to the Stereo Out. 

OR

2. Bounce a master of the whole song except for that individual track and in a new Logic projrect, bring in your master and that one individual track so that you can mix them together.