Question for Apogee One users ...

fusbur
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi Guys

My (remote) song writing partner uses an Apogee One to record his vocals with LPX.

I'd always  struggled to understand why his vocal levels were so inconsistent within every track but it seems the reason lies with the Apogee.

He says the single input gain / playback volume knob isn't calibrated so once he's recorded he has to adjust the knob for playback then back again (to continue recording), which is never to exactly the same spot.

I don't have this interface to work out how to avoid that so how does the Apogee work in that respect?

Regards!

• Solution

I haven't used that particular unit, but it sounds like he's struggling using the device - it has one knob, which adjusts different things in different modes. Likely he's adjusting the input gain, then leaving the knob in that mode, and for playback, incorrectly adjusting the knob (changing the input again again), rather than flipping to the monitor volume mode, to change that.

So the reason is he's inadvertently adjusting the wrong thing, not that the reason lies in the Apogee.

The SOS review says:

The big silver knob on the front of the One is used to control the level of either the currently selected input or the output. Pressing the knob briefly will cycle through the various input and output options, to allow you to change gain settings. A display (very similar to the built‑in Mac OS volume display) appears on your screen when you're making changes and shows which input or output is being adjusted. If the knob is pressed and held for one second, the output it muted, which is certainly a useful feature.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/apogee-one

Really, he needs to check the input level to give a good level without clipping and leaving good headroom, and leaving it there - ie, keeping the knob controlling the monitor volume.

I don't know whether it comes with software (apparently yes, it comes with the "Maestro Control" software), but that might have a readout of the current input gain setting (or, he might be able to use the Apogee channel strip controls in Logic if it supports that feature). But it seems like the levels are displayed on screen, too.

ApogeeOne_03-YeMeJUhGhsmDxjr0izPERMr5IWw6uug..jpg.ebb6d854294cdaace1e686ed222f5a64.jpg

• Like 1

Agree with @des99's diagnosis of what's happening (different modes) - yes, I own a ONE.

The other factor is whether or not the built-in Mic is being used....
If so, the shape of the unit makes it sensitive to off-axis use and also proximity.
You need to stick it - and yourself - in one position...and avoid dancing, nodding, etc.

• Like 1