Is OMF import gone in LP?

68time
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi y'all.

I am trying to import files from Cubase->Export OMF->Import to Logic

While this worked on an old Intel Mac (Logic 10.7.4), the OMF files are greyed out on the new Mac M3pro (Logic 10.8.1)

Is this a bug, or has OMF support been dropped by Apple?

I don't know - what happens if you run Logic 10.8.1 in Rosetta? What happens if you use 10.7.4 on your new Mac to import the file?

In other words, I'm trying to determine whether the difference in somewhere in Logic, or this particular file.

That's a bummer 😞  Guess I'll be keeping the old Mac around for a while then...

It works on the old intel Mac.  I did not want to install an old version on the new Mac.

Is there an alternative to OMF import for getting projects from Cubase to Logic?

Does Cubase not offer AAF export?

AAF is not quite as bad as OMF was... but still pretty terrible.

I keep a ProTools subscription for the sole reason to open AAF received from Avid and export the material to AAF straight away. That newly created AAF will import correctly into Logic.

1 hour ago, 68time said:

I did not want to install an old version on the new Mac.

Why, out of interest? It's just a simple matter of copying "Logic Pro 10.7.4.app" to your Mac, and running it on the occasion you need Logic to convert the OMF file...

28 minutes ago, des99 said:

Why, out of interest? It's just a simple matter of copying "Logic Pro 10.7.4.app" to your Mac, and running it on the occasion you need Logic to convert the OMF file...

TBH just for the sake of starting fresh on a new machine and keeping the chances of "messing something up" as low as possible.  Couldn't an older Version of LP mess up other LP-dependant files that the new version depends on?

• Solution
5 hours ago, des99 said:

what happens if you run Logic 10.8.1 in Rosetta?

I didn't see you acknowledge you tried my earlier suggestion or let me know what happened, so I tried it here.

Running natively in 10.8.1, OMF files are greyed out and can't be imported.

Running under Rosetta, OMF files are available for selection, and I just imported one into 10.8.1.

So there's your solution, without requiring an old version of Logic. It looks like the old OMF import code is Intel-only, so it only works running Logic under Rosetta. So, do that for import and save the project, then flip back to native mode to continue.

• Like 3

Thank you des99!
This might be a dumb question, but to run in Rosetta, all I have to do is set the tick mark in the box "open using rosetta" in the file info dialog for LP in the apps folder, correct?

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Oops, as the rest of this thread shows, I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that!

Well, you were sort of right, too 😉
It's a shame that software companies seem to make collaboration across different platforms more difficult instead of easier...  

• Like 1