Oh no! Audio Files gone? please help!

So I went with my band to record last weekend, I created 3 projects (each band member as audio track via my interface), which I saved as project packages in the default folder, as I always do.

When I look at the logic project files now I'm back home, they are all aprox 4gb in size.

but when I try to open them, I get a message that 'the audio file ... was not found'.
When i click on show package contents of the logic file i indeed see that they are not there, the audio files folders in the project file only has 500 mb worth of audio files, while the total file size is 4gb (which give me hope they can be recovered somehow).

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? please advise!

They are most likely in iCloud or Dropbox or Google Drive and (super dumb as those services are) the files were set to "online only" or some s*!$ like that.

Copy all of those packages to an external drive, or a folder that you know for a fact will not be synced to iCloud or Dropbox and try again.

thanks polanoid thats the weird thing. I looked inside, and they are not there, only a few of them. The project should be 3.84gb, but the audio files folder within the package only contains 500mb of audiofiles. very weird. another project that i recorded that night does have them all, and the project package file size matches the audio file folder. Am i screwed?

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 23.19.57.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 23.20.28.png

In the Project File Browser, can you add up the sizes of all the missing files? 

I would keep looking inside all the folders inside that package, if it's 4GB there's got to be something else inside it. Feel free to share that project folder for example via iCloud or Dropbox or some file sharing service, after compressing it first (in the Finder, Control + click and choose Compress) so that one of us can have a look? 

• Like 1

ouch, when compressing, it does make a file of 350 mb instead of 3.8gb (astro 2).. thats not a good sign is it?

i uploaded it and its downloadable here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dkb1u8lvaxmuu8jdaxy66/ASTRO-2.zip?rlkey=9iwgozfdmrdy0g4bw1j9gidxg&dl=0

I fear that I probably won't be getting my audio files back. but can anyone please explain what I did wrong here and how to prevent this in the future? the strange thing is that another project I recorded in the same way afterwards (called astro 3) did include all the audio files in the package, and the first project of the weekend (astro 1) included some audio files, and some not.

It unpacks as 510MB here, so that's the size of the project (not your 3.8GB), and has 30 audio files... and it's definitely missing audio files.

Check that you haven't recorded or copied them somewhere else (like in a different project perhaps?)

no have not copied them somewhere else. weird thing huh? also that some of the projects have some files in them, but not the rest. very dissappointing. Next time probably better to save as folder, and immediately check if the files are thare after recording...?

I have never in 20 years lost any recording in this manner. Meaning that audio files are just disappearing. Except that bug that was just identified in the select with Marquee tool and copy+paste while edit mode is set to "No Overlap" in another thread here. But even that is very easily preventable now that we know what the behavior is.

So there is something that's going on on your system or that you are doing that created this problem.

Perhaps some background file-manager / sync software whatever kind of software that is running and doing stuff...

• Like 1