Keeping Smart Controls OFF

Chipp Tate
Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

I know Smart Controls are a popular feature, which is fine, but I prefer to use plug-ins because they have everything I want in one place. I've been working that way in a long-form project when I accidentally opened that window and noticed a switch turned on, which was surprising since I've done nothing with those on this project. So to start with I have a few questions:

1) It's my understanding that Smart Controls can be mapped and customized for specific effects. Is it possible that I'm seeing the result of default mapping that reflects something I've done in a plug-in I've been using?

2) I use the space bar for start/stop and accidentally open the Smart Controls window with some regularity when I miss and hit B. Could opening that cause an active plug-in to be mapped?

3) Is there a way to keep Smart Controls off, or defeat their mapping so they're only on when and how I want them to be on?

Thanks, Chipp

1. Yes. Smart Controls mirror the corresponding plug-in or channel strip control/parameter. If you choose a different preset or adjust a parameter in the plug-in window, the mirrored smart control will also move/update (and vice-versa). The fundamental idea of Smart Controls is to provide a condensed version/access to the "fundamental" params you need and to make it simple/automatic to map things to a MIDI controller (Learn). Smart Controls can also control multiple parameters simultaneously (i.e. work as "macro" controls). This latter facility "may" explain the phantom button, but it's likely it was turned on in the corresponding plug-in - manually or by loading a preset.

2. No, it won't "cause" a mapping....but if the plug-in has a default map, this will be displayed.
You could remap / unassign the B key so you don't accidentally open the SC window.

3. No way to keep them "off", but they're simply plug-in or channel parameters that mirror other parameters....much like the event list/piano roll/score editor all show note data. Adjust the length of a note in the piano roll and it'll be reflected in the other edit windows (open or not).
You can remap any (mappable) parameter of any inserted plug on the selected channel.
- Reverb (Size/Atk/Dcy/Wet)
- Chorus (Rate/Mix)
- Delay (Time/Mix)

Or you can map all params to individual plugs on a channel.
Might be worth checking this out to see what you can do with smart controls.
Who knows? Might change your working paradigm. 😉
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp076273cd/10.8/mac/13.5

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. You've answered all my questions clearly and concisely, and I believe you verified that nothing shown in Smart Controls is above and beyond anything that's been done in the plug-ins that would affect the sound of the track - correct?

• Solution
13 minutes ago, Chipp Tate said:

nothing shown in Smart Controls is above and beyond anything that's been done in the plug-ins that would affect the sound of the track - correct?

"shown" = correct.
If you move a Smart Control (onscreen or with a linked MIDI control), however, it will have an affect on the sound of the track.

• Like 1