Logic Compressor (VCA) or Softube VCA Compressor, free in March

Softube offers their VCA Compressor free during March, but I’m wondering if it does anything more than the standard Logic compressor?  Reviews suggest the presets from Softube are great and subtle on drums and typical instruments using compression.

13 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

Softube

Is it just me or is their website broken?
I'm seeing almost no images on th VCA Compressor product page.

(Disclosure: I'm using rather aggresive uBlock and VPN security settings, so if something is being blocked, it's usually for a reason.)

You can just whitelist that site - it doesn't run actual ads, so you're not harming anything - there's no ads to block. And the site is almost useless if you don't as it doesn't render any of the dynamic content otherwise.

• Like 1

I Just did my own comparison of Logic's Vintage VCA versus the Softube VCA compressor and found it easier to use the Softube's VCA.  As some reviewers had suggested, the presets are more subtle and it just sounds better to me.

You can probably get the same results with Logic's Vintage VCA by tweaking - but I didn't find the Logic presets useful.  I worked with a basic kick and snare beat to start.  I'll try it on bass and some other instruments later - although like many of us, I have custom Logic compressor settings I've grown used to for most instruments.

I have a slew of UAD plugins and use classic 1176 and LA2A style compressors for vocals, acoustic guitar and typical acoustic sources.  Adopting task specific compressors like the Softube VCA, say for drums, is a new strategy.  Not sure using 4 or 5 different compressors is a road I want to travel.