Sonoma 14.4 warning!

Dan Banan
Go to solution Solved by Dan Banan,

⚠️
This was posted on Sonnox FB;

We have received reports of a compatibility issue with yesterday’s release of macOS 14.4 Sonoma on Apple Silicon Macs.

This issue affects plug-ins from all manufacturers protected by PACE / iLok when used with AU host DAWs such as Logic. Therefore, if you use Audio Units on an Apple Silicon Mac, please defer your update until more is known.

We are contacting PACE and will update you once we find a resolution.

• Like 4

Lucky I have no iLok plugs on the MBP.
It appears to be more stable (I've been running the betas for some time) - Kontakt 7.8.1 in particular was loading samples (very) slowly and it would periodically crash on Sonoma 14.3. It's been solid/much faster on 14.4.....so far.

Once the iLok/Pace thing is sorted out, it will be interesting to see if others are having success/grief.

I might have read this too late: went to bed last night with the update set to install overnight. Will let you all know how it’s gone - after I finish installing a 120 Gb product over my lucky to get 600 Kbs  connection - with luck they’ll have it sorted before I find out whether I’m affected or not. 

• Like 1

Is this still a problem with the latest verison of iLok Licence Manager?

I'm asking because I saw a message from my interface manufacturer (Metric Halo, who also do plugins with iLok) that it's fine as long as you update your iLok Licence Manager to the latest version.

11 minutes ago, harrisonfraud said:

I'm asking because I saw a message from my interface manufacturer

You got this message yesterday?

Note that not all iLok plugins are affected equally - as posted, LiquidSonics said their plugins don't seem to be affected, but as no one knows yet what the underlying issue is, it's difficult to be sure, other than don't update to 14.4.

2 minutes ago, harrisonfraud said:

Maybe he was only talking about Metric Halo plugins?

Yes, I'm sure he was - but it might be because with testing they deemed them not affected by the issue (similarly to LiquidSonics). I'm not aware that iLok have released a fixed version of the iLok software today or yesterday, but I'll check...

Edit: Nope, the current version is still the same 5.9 GM that I've been running for months.

UADx plugins are killed badly too, apparently.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 6:56 AM, harrisonfraud said:

Is this still a problem with the latest verison of iLok Licence Manager?

I'm asking because I saw a message from my interface manufacturer (Metric Halo, who also do plugins with iLok) that it's fine as long as you update your iLok Licence Manager to the latest version.

Updating/reinstalling the License Manager hasn't resolved the issue for me.

Argh.. discovering this thread too late! I updated to 14.4 last night and now Logic throws up an error message when loading East West Opus and it won’t run a project thereafter, I just have to quit. It will only run under Rosetta. I’m going to try updating Licence Manager and contacting East West support.

14 minutes ago, Markdu said:

I’m going to try updating Licence Manager

This will likely do nothing, it's a bug in macOS 14.4. Reinstalling the same iLok software won't fix the bug.

15 minutes ago, Markdu said:

contacting East West support

There's nothing they can tell you except all the things already mentioned in this thread - downgrade your macOS via your backups (or a reinstall), run in Rosetta, or wait until a macOS point release that includes the fix, are all you can do at this stage.

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

This will likely do nothing, it's a bug in macOS 14.4. Reinstalling the same iLok software won't fix the bug.

There's nothing they can tell you except all the things already mentioned in this thread - downgrade your macOS via your backups (or a reinstall), run in Rosetta, or wait until a macOS point release that includes the fix, are all you can do at this stage.

Ok thanks for that. I have a Time Machine backup from a couple of weeks ago. Might go that route, or see if Rosetta will allow me to work while we wait for the OS fix.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marcocharles said:

Hi,  SubMission Audio plug-ins are affected too, Soothe, Bloom, and UADx 😞

Hope for a solution fast  need to send some finished mixes.

Try Rosetta running logic, doesn't Work for me.

I was having problems with UADx, oeksound, and other plugins until I did this:

1. Go to Plugin Manager
2. Scroll to plugins that crashed invalidation
3. Select said plugin(s)
4. Check "use" box
5. Click "Reset & Rescan Selection"

This worked for me, at least, in Rosetta.

Edited by skillzmcgavern
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So tempted to update cos I've just heard there's a possibility that Sonoma 14.4.1 may have fixed the longstanding problems that stopped Cherry Audio's mighty Voltage Modular from loading on Silicon. (Well, not on Silicon to be more accurate - because I can still load VM in Ableton - but something was blocking the plug in non-Rosetta Logic and Cherry despaired of this issue ever being fixed.)

My good buddy at Cherry Audio says this is possibly now sorted... and the phoenix may fly again!