macOS Sonoma 14.4 update kills plugins

Are you guys aware that the latest macOS update kills any AU plugin that uses PACE DRM? UAD, UADx, Softube stuff, Liquidsonics, Oaksound, ReLab, Sonos, SSL, and SynchroArts all stone dead. I started a thread on Thursday afternoon over at the Universal Audio forum about it that has received lots of excellent advice but no solid solutions so far:

https://uadforum.com/community/index.php?threads/sonoma-14-4-dont-do-it.70100/

This issue was discovered two days ago, on the day of release of the 14.4 update - it will take Pace and maybe Apple time to investigate, find the problem, engineer a solution, test and package it up, depending on what the problem actually is - so no, as has been reported, it's being looked into by the parties involved at this stage.

It only affects AU plugins running natively (and so under AUHostingService), so you can run under Rosetta, or roll back your 14.4 update using time machine or whatever other backups you have.

But the best thing to do is not to update on the day of release, and just stay informed on audio forums etc so that if an issue like this crops up, you can hold off updating.

That's all we know at the moment.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, des99 said:

But the best thing to do is not to update on the day of release, and just stay informed on audio forums etc so that if an issue like this crops up, you can hold off updating.

*Chisels word by word into the wall, points a spot light onto it!* 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, des99 said:

Well thanks to all the brave people who did not hold off updating we now know that we shouldn't 🙂 

• Like 1

I don't know what does it mean that "the latest macOS update kills any AU plugin that uses PACE DRM? UAD, UADx," etc. I have updated my system to 14.4 and tried Liquidsonics, UAD, UADx, SSL plugins, but everything works perfectly.

What haven't I realised?

It doesn't mean everybody who's running iLok + AU + native Apple silicon will find all their iLok plugin don't work. It's a bit more subtle than that from the developer advisories, but it does seem to be widespread, and some iLok products seem more affected than others. Intel/Rosetta and non-AU plugins are not affected.

If you're not affected, and you're running natively, then great (and I suggest don't try to revalidate your plugins).

(UAD plugins are not affected as they don't use iLok, only the native UADx ones are. LiquidSonics say their plugins don't seem to be affected too.)

• Like 2

Normally, I rarely make rash changes to operating systems. Unfortunately, my new M2 Mac Studio already came pre-loaded with the Sonoma macOS. Even more unfortunate is that I updated to Sonoma 14.4. It was an impulsive decision. I am one of many un-lucky individuals who was left with a f**ked-up system. Logic Pro now has significant issues with VSL's Vienna Instruments and Vienna Imperial (and other VSL "Pro" plug-ins) in addition to Opus by EastWest.  I gotta take ownership to this fiasco. My bad. Hopefully a fix will be made sooner than later.  At least I am not in the middle of a recording/sequencing project.

(Note: The Sonoma 14.4 also effected other DAWs including MOTU's Digital Performer.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, efiebke said:

(Note: The Sonoma 14.4 also effected other DAWs including MOTU's Digital Performer.)

If they are running AU plugins in the macOS system provided AUHostingService, then yes those DAWs will be affected. If they are loading plugins in their own process space, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Over on VI-Control someone from Metric Halo said they found updating the iLok License Manager appeared to fix the problem. Seems YMMV - not everyone is reporting success after doing so. 

Elsewhere (sorry don't recall where) it was reported that only machines with M2 or M3 processors are affected. Don't know if this is true or not, can only report that I updated my M1 laptop and all iLok plugins are working as expected.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bcariou said:

Over on VI-Control someone from Metric Halo said they found updating the iLok License Manager appeared to fix the problem. Seems YMMV - not everyone is reporting success after doing so. 

Elsewhere (sorry don't recall where) it was reported that only machines with M2 or M3 processors are affected. Don't know if this is true or not, can only report that I updated my M1 laptop and all iLok plugins are working as expected.

Tried reinstalling iLok and it made no indifference on my M2 Pro system. Still borked.

10 hours ago, polanoid said:

Well thanks to all the brave people who did not hold off updating we now know that we shouldn't 🙂 

Updates are like mushrooms.

Yes.

Imagine all the people in the Human history trying to eat various mushrooms, just to let us know that some of them are not edible, or are even fatal.

As we're today no more allowed to test mushrooms and MacOS updates on convicts or POWs we've to rely on brave people.

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

Updates are like mushrooms.

Yes.

Imagine all the people in the Human history trying to eat various mushrooms, just to let us know that some of them are not edible, or are even fatal.

As we're today no more allowed to test mushrooms and MacOS updates on convicts or POWs we've to rely on brave people.

i'll take that as a compliment

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, analogika said:

If you're being held hostage and forced to run updates, give us a sign! 

Which is your favourite Beatles album? The White Album or… "HELP"? 

forced? i wait by the mailbox for the latest betas to come in. and who are 'beatles'...?....

• Haha 2