Magix is insolvent.

I seriously doubt that Apple would buy another DAW suite and create in-house competition to Logic.

Let's remember: The first thing Apple did after buying Emagic was killing the Windows versions (and keeping the Mac versions). Since there are no (official) Mac versions of Samplitude and Sequoia I doubt that this will come to pass.

Granted: Immediately before Emagic was bought there was some cooperation between them and Magix (for example, there was a shortlived notation program that was essentially the notation part of Logic and some more); and I've also seen other things that ultimately didn't see the light of day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most certainly not!

Magix was (basically) formed by former employees of the Studio for Electronic Music (or more precisely at this time "Studio für elektronische Klangerzeugung") at the Dresden College of Music. The first Samplitude versions were written for the Commodore Amiga and then rewritten for PC.

I owe them and especially the former head of the studio a lot. Several of my teaching jobs are direct results of that connection.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gacki said:

Most certainly not!

Magix was (basically) formed by former employees of the Studio for Electronic Music (or more precisely at this time "Studio für elektronische Klangerzeugung") at the Dresden College of Music. The first Samplitude versions were written for the Commodore Amiga and then rewritten for PC.

I owe them and especially the former head of the studio a lot. Several of my teaching jobs are direct results of that connection.

So... coincidence then.  That's a bit bizarre.  Patty they have to shut their doors though.  I wonder if anyone will pick up their products.

AFAIK Magix is trying to restructure; so there's hope for the product line.

I've only watched the whole thing from the sidelines during the past years and I never was quite sure how the business side of the company as a whole worked.

Interestingly there obviously was - at one time - a substantial cooperation between Emagic and Magix. For some time the "Magix Music Studio" was a "light" version of Logic (I'm not sure if I still have some of that packaging); of course this was at a time before Apple took over. Emagic had basically licensed various Logic versions to other companies (like Magix); there was also a "special" Logic version included with stuff from one of the educational publishing houses (was it Lugert? can't recall...). During one of the Magix summer parties I even met some Emagic stuff that had come to Dresden - but that's over 20 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy.

All this naturally came to a halt after Apple bought Emagic and cancelled the Windows products.