Can't assign Shift-PLAY in Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2?

mrmuzzi
Go to solution Solved by Tankfield,

Hi, I use the S61 with Logic Pro 10.6.3 and I have the following issue:

In the Controller Assignment window I can easily re-map the six buttons LOOP, METRO, TEMPO etc. to any command in Logic, I can also map Shift-REC to something else than Count-in.
The problem is that Shift-PLAY doesn't work, meaning when I push the combination I can see the PLAY button feedback in the window, so basically Shift-PLAY or just PLAY equals PLAY!!!

Now, I talked to the NI customer support and their answer is this is a limitation with Logic, but I just wanted to double check with any of you to be sure!

To replicate the issue:

• open Logic’s Controller Assignments window
  • hit PLAY on the keyboard and check the current default assignment in the DAW (Play)
  • now assign another command to PLAY (I chose Toggle Metronome Click)
  • press the PLAY button and Shift+PLAY alternatively
  • the keyboard sends only the command assigned to the PLAY button (toggle Metronome)
  • the Shift+PLAY combination is not recognised by the DAW (by default assigned to Play from Beginning)

Thanks anyone!

• David Nahmani changed the title to Can't assign Shift-PLAY in Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2?
On 3/11/2024 at 11:07 AM, mrmuzzi said:

To replicate the issue:

• open Logic’s Controller Assignments window
  • hit PLAY on the keyboard and check the current default assignment in the DAW (Play)
  • now assign another command to PLAY (I chose Toggle Metronome Click)

I get stuck at this point. Logic doesn't seem to recognise a new assignment. I'm probably not doing it right.

Are you using the S61 as a control surface in Logic's Control Surfaces window?
If so, this probably can't be overwritten unless you directly modify the DAW integration script/CS support.
In "integrated" mode, you could potentially use unassigned stuff like MIDI notes as switches...but that would probably be the extent of it.

NI keyboards have a "MIDI" mode...you should be able to do as you wish with this.
SHIFT + MIDI / PLUG-IN on the S61 panel to toggle between MIDI/integrated modes.

NI have a MIDI editing utility for their devices....you could have a look at the options available in it to see what "can" be assigned/what MIDI data each button is sending.
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/7083345683857-What-is-Controller-Editor

6 hours ago, mrmuzzi said:

I just need one person to confirm or refute the issue, less than one minute needed!

Patience grasshopper.
It's an international forum where the folks who may have an answer or suggestions are sleeping, working, life-ing in their time zone....and when/if they have the opportunity and desire to lend a hand, they'll respond.
This is not an official support mechanism for Logic....it's a bunch of Logic users - like yourself.

Thanks oscwilde for helping out.

The keyboard is correctly installed in the Control surfaces, it happens automatically when launching Logic the first time with it connected, you get a prompt and confirm it, done.

I checked the Editor already and it is not needed with the S Mark2 series, in fact the hardware is not even recognized there, thanks for the suggestion though.

The switch between MIDI or PLUG-IN mode happens only when using the KK plugin which is like a container for all the plugins compatible with it but it does not affect the transport area of the keyboard which is always active.

NI support said that Shift+PLAY is not integrated, but on their website there is this pdf where on the third page you find the combination as enabled:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/4408298348817

After I mentioned they said there is a mistake on the document, that's why I just need one user to confirm or not.

Here is a video to better explain the whole thing:

• Solution
On 3/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, mrmuzzi said:

I just need one person to confirm or refute the issue, less than one minute needed!

I just followed your video and my S61 Mk2 behaves like yours in Logic Pro. Shift-Play is the same as Play.

However, Play (and Shift-Play) behave differently depending on whether Logic is already playing or if it's stopped. When Logic is already playing, clicking the Play button jumps the timeline back to where you last started playback and plays from there. Shift-Play does the same.

So Restart does work, but only when Logic is already playing.

• Like 2