Plugin delay compensation is not working. Im losing my head.

Erick Krtmannn
Go to solution Solved by Erick Krtmannn,

I am new to logic and decided to hold a mixing session for the test. Everything was fine and I enjoyed the process until I noticed that the more plugins I start using on different elements, the more synchronization disappeared. Now I am as frustrated as possible. I used a fabfilter in the linear phase and a couple more ff plugins with oversampling. PDS is enabled and was enabled from the beginning in ALL mode. I switched it endlessly, tried different combinations - nothing helped me. It's like the delay compensation just doesn't seem to exist. Im loosing my head. Please help me. I have Sonoma 14.4 and the latest version of FabFilter plugins and Logic is 10.8.1. CPU levels are fine. I was trying to bounce in place but it was all out of synch too. Just like playback.

• Solution
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Good to hear you solved it.

Can you share how you solved it? Imagine someone with the same problem finding this topic in the future, and how they'd love to have the solution. 🙂 Thanks!

It seems that Logic has limitations on the amount of delay that it is able to compensate for. It turned out for me that if the total delay from one plugin in the chain is more than one bar (like DMG Eqalibrium with high impulse lenght) - problems arise. I do not know exactly how many samples these are, but in my project with 139 it turned out that one bar was the threshold after which the results become funny. Anything less than one bar is perfectly synchronized and the waveform repeats the timing of the original one before the bounce.

Edited by Erick Krtmannn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Erick Krtmannn said:

I do not know exactly how many samples these are

One bar at 120bpm and 44.1kHz sample rate equals 88200 samples, or 2000 ms. That's a very latent plugin...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Samples: yes (192000), ms: no 😉 

Fun fact: at 24 Bit Stereo, this is a data size that would have needed seven C64 floppy disks to store, just for one processing buffer 🙂. Yes, I'm old.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1