Mixing with Logic, how to move sounds along the Y axis?

Trying to move the guitar sound from the red dot the black dot. We can use panning to move along the X axis, and use volume fades to move along the Z axis. Y axis is controlled by frequency but how should we EQ it to that exact location? Any visual UI mixing applications in Logic (third party?) that's not numerical/technical? Would like to drag and drop place the sound to a specific location in a 3D image. 

IMG_1427.thumb.jpg.097229dcd3c9a43cb5dd0d05c1dd79e3.jpg

38 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The stereo field is a 2D horizontal plane, it does not have a vertical dimension. You could try using binaural panning or mix in Dolby Atmos. 

Thanks David. Any additional information for Dolby Atmos? 

1 hour ago, globet said:

Any additional information for Dolby Atmos? 

Choose Mix > Dolby Atmos, set Spatial Audio to Dolby Atmos, then you can use the Surround Panner which has an "Elevation" parameter. 

I wrote an entire chapter dedicated to mixing in Dolby Atmos in my book

You can also find more info about it in the Logic Pro user guide: Overview of surround and spatial audio in Logic Pro for Mac

• Love 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:45 PM, David Nahmani said:

Choose Mix > Dolby Atmos, set Spatial Audio to Dolby Atmos, then you can use the Surround Panner which has an "Elevation" parameter. 

I wrote an entire chapter dedicated to mixing in Dolby Atmos in my book

You can also find more info about it in the Logic Pro user guide: Overview of surround and spatial audio in Logic Pro for Mac

Thanks David, will certainly look into this. 

Posted (edited)

If you mix your project in Dolby Atmos and placing sounds along the Y axis, will you hear a slight difference on a mobile phone speaker for example? Take any big commercially successful song on YouTube, is it also mixed in 3D? Dolby Atmos?

While visiting LA, I did come across this poster promoting JLo’s new music in Dolby.

IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.f92d96e912e0fde4b699671561704540.jpeg

Edited by globet

Wondering if there such a plugin that can map out the stereo field of all the tracks in your project? Meaning graphically it will show you the position of each tracks along the X and Z axis by track color or name.

This stereo field plugin will take into account the panning and fader position to show you graphically where each track resides on the stereo field.