How to easily duplicate audio- and midi-regions on beat?

Sir Hannes

Simple question: I want to duplicate 4 selected MIDI-events, which lay straight on beat 1,2,3,4. 

Now duplicating doesn't copy them to the next bar 1,2,3,4. Instead they are copied to 4.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and so on. Because the last midi-event ends at before 4.5. - So it is kind of logic, but for musical rhythmic purposes not useful to me...

I am too lazy to use copy, scroll exactly to next bar's 1 and then paste.

What I am missing? 🙂

Edited by Sir Hannes

I am referring to this command. It's not working as - at least I - would expect. To be honest, I just opened an empty session with an empty midi region and with pencil draw 4 events. And cmd+R works as I would expect it. I am confused now 😄

6 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

I am referring to this command. It's not working as - at least I - would expect. To be honest, I just opened an empty session with an empty midi region and with pencil draw 4 events. And cmd+R works as I would expect it. I am confused now 😄

Check the "Adjustment" setting in the dialog that pops up when you choose "Repeat->Multiple...". This setting will also be used for "Repeat->Once". You should set it to "Auto".

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

Check the "Adjustment" setting in the dialog that pops up when you choose "Repeat->Multiple...". This setting will also be used for "Repeat->Once". You should set it to "Auto".

Maybe that's the reason..

What is the difference between these shortcuts (translated German-English)

- Copy MIDI-Events ...
- Regions/Cells/Events repeat
- Regions/Cells/Events repeat multiple

43 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

- Copy MIDI-Events ...

This will copy (or rather duplicate) events inside the left...right locator range in a selected region (seems it does not work on a multi-selection, instead it will use the first selected region it finds, unless you specify "Create New Region" in the ensuing dialog box - this might be a bug), giving a few options what is supposed to be happening with the duplicates:

- You can change the locator positions (because you can't do that via the usual ways as soon as the dialog is open)

- specify the destination position of the first duplicated event

- the number of copies

- should a new region be created for the duplicates or not?

- various modes specifying how the events should be duplicated (or even moved or deleted if you want them to). Try them out yourself to see what they do.

image.png.1db06b713e382744248acef29d417c5a.png

image.png.3afb253c9df16d527154ac4d1998c89d.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

- Regions/Cells/Events repeat

This will repeat the selected regions/MIDI Events/Cells once. As I wrote above, it seems to use the options set in the "repeat multiple" dialog. The corresponding Menu entry in the Tracks Area is Edit->Repeat->Once

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-12um18_16_06.thumb.png.8971f9dee6c985f7f4c57f09595ff52a.png

Thanks for your replies. Now I've got my example. I am copying from the bottom two midi notes. The copied versions are selected right now. This is what confuses me:

- if the bottom note is longer then one beat, Logic adds +1 beat. Shorten that note and this behavior stops. For me: weird.

- What I actually wanted to get as an result ist to copy exactly on the next bar. Which isn't working. Why?

Now to confuse myself more, this happens with the Repeat Regions/Cells/Events dialog where I selected bar. There is 1 bar + 3 beats now. I guess same with the note length. For me not useable while composing.

What are your thoughts?

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-12um18_17_20.thumb.png.85d6007af1215bf97457e3408d68077b.png

Edited by Sir Hannes

5 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are: WTF, I can’t reproduce this over here. Repeat result with “Auto” setting: 1 bar distance between source and copy (as expected)

image.thumb.png.b925c126f368c41a919e42ef92be653c.png

5 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

this happens with the Repeat Regions/Cells/Events dialog where I selected bar. There is 1 bar + 3 beats now.

Erm no it’s obviously two bars which is kind of plausible because the selection ends after the next bar’s start. so the bar after that will be used as destination.

Note that it is musically correct to not create the copy of the first note exactly at the bar start when the original does not start at a bar either. If you want that, you should use [Cmd-C / place playhead at desired destination / Cmd-V] instead

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

@Sir Hannes on your first screenshot I see 3 beats and on your second screenshots I see 2 bars. I can reproduce the 2 bars but not the 3 beats. 

The reason you get 2 bars rather than 1 is because you have a note that is before the beat, so my guess is that Logic allows for one more unit of time (beat, or bar, whatever is selected in the repeat multiple window) to make sure that 'pickup note' is included.