Midi labels on keys not showing?

tightplatonic
Go to solution Solved by Dr.Socrates,

• Solution
Posted (edited)

In the first picture above, what you have highlighted is the track called "Glassy Wobble Bass", which I assume is a bass instrument. Hence, it is correct to see only the piano keys (and no "labels").

Try opening the editor for the track of a drum instrument, and I think you will see the labels again.

Edited by Dr.Socrates
  • Like 2

To see note labels in Piano Roll, the track object needs to be a Mapped Instrument. 

These are found in Environment. If you double-click on a Mapped instrument in Environment, you'll see where to enter the note labels.

As @Dr.Socrates says, the first picture has a non-drum instrument selected in Tracks. But it's the Mapped instrument in Environment assigned to a track that actually causes labels to be seen.

So any instrument -- not just drums -- can be mapped with labels. Some people use them in keyswitched orchestral patches as reminders of what note triggers what articulation.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plowman said:

To see note labels in Piano Roll, the track object needs to be a Mapped Instrument. 

... with the exception of drum kits, which do not require a Mapped Instrument - including Sampler, Drum Kit Designer, Drum Machine Designer, Ultrabeat, Drum Synth and Quick Sampler (not much to see except for the note pitch and the root key). 

When an instrument shows drum names, in the Piano Roll, you can choose View > Drum Names which confusingly does not toggle the drum names but MIDI note pitches next to the drum names themselves (instead of the vertical keyboard). 

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 8.51.10 AM.png

• Like 2

gosh thank you all..i am new to programming drums and using midi in general so this was very confusing to me..I swear I saw some names just disappear randomly but I must have switched tracks.. I will play around more to get used to what is mapped with names and what isn't..

view > drum names is very useful thanks again!