Is there a way to *automatically* A-B in Logic Pro X?

the surf doc
Go to solution Solved by the surf doc,

Hi all,

No doubt this is something of an edge case request, but I'll ask anyway!

I'm looking for a technique or plug-in that will enable my Logic Pro project to automatically switch between soloing a reference track (e.g. 'Track 1') and the other tracks in my project. Obviously, I can do this manually, either through soloing or using something like mCompare, but what I want is the ability to switch automatically, say, every 5 seconds, leaving my hands free to make the tweaks I want on my own track to get it closer to the reference.

I have recently demo'd a few different A-B reference tools hoping that I could find this particular feature but I haven't had any luck.

To repeat, I'm aware that this is an edge case and not needed for most people, but I do a lot of cinematic covers/recreations for my Youtube channel and this would really help me in that endeavour.

Any tips, advice, recommendations or pointers warmly welcomed.

Cheers

Put your reference track on an audio track, channel mute it.

Then automate the solo button - that might do the trick... can't be done with latch, but you can do it manually (set the visible parameter to "Solo" then draw in the nodes)

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 1

Aside from automation which @wonshu mentioned - which occurs fixed points and will probably impact some mixer functions - all methods I can think of for doing this all within Logic are going to run into some problems with focus. There aren't commands that can make that switch in a way that won't collide with you moving around the DAW and mixing.

If you want to do something like this without hardware Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack is probably the best bet. You can setup things in its Editor that will toggle between Logic's audio and something else, and you can run it with really basic scripts.

https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowledgebase/?showArticle=AH-Scripting-Center

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

Aside from automation which @wonshu mentioned - which occurs fixed points and will probably impact some mixer functions - all methods I can think of for doing this all within Logic are going to run into some problems with focus. There aren't commands that can make that switch in a way that won't collide with you moving around the DAW and mixing.

If you want to do something like this without hardware Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack is probably the best bet. You can setup things in its Editor that will toggle between Logic's audio and something else, and you can run it with really basic scripts.

https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowledgebase/?showArticle=AH-Scripting-Center

Thanks, I have Audio Hijack installed on my Mac, I'll have a play with it tomorrow.

• Solution

FYI, I got what I wanted working today using automation on my A-B reference tool, Melda's MCompare, operating as a send effect on my Stereo Output.

I sync'ed the reference track on MCompare and then automated the Stereo Output Channel to switch the plugin off every 2 seconds.

Works like a charm. So thanks everyone!

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 11:11 AM, the surf doc said:

Hi all,

No doubt this is something of an edge case request, but I'll ask anyway!

I'm looking for a technique or plug-in that will enable my Logic Pro project to automatically switch between soloing a reference track (e.g. 'Track 1') and the other tracks in my project. Obviously, I can do this manually, either through soloing or using something like mCompare, but what I want is the ability to switch automatically, say, every 5 seconds, leaving my hands free to make the tweaks I want on my own track to get it closer to the reference.

I have recently demo'd a few different A-B reference tools hoping that I could find this particular feature but I haven't had any luck.

To repeat, I'm aware that this is an edge case and not needed for most people, but I do a lot of cinematic covers/recreations for my Youtube channel and this would really help me in that endeavour.

Any tips, advice, recommendations or pointers warmly welcomed.

Cheers

Adaptr Metric A>B is the plug-in I would recommend.

• Like 1

Yes, it is, except it's now a regular price of € 279 - I think when we all bought it (at least I...) it was like €29 bucks - a no-brainer.

Currently it is on sale for € 49 - so maybe a good time to jump on it.

8 hours ago, Ashermusic said:

Adaptr Metric A>B is the plug-in I would recommend.

Yes, I demo'd this reference plugin earlier in the week and it has some really nice features, in particular the visual comparisons.

It does not, however, have the specific functionality which I was seeking.