Autosampled soft synth sounds different and worse than original...

dgerch

Hi, I just upgraded to a new computer and some of my soft synths from my old one aren't compatible, so I decided to autosample my favorite patches. Initially, the autosampled patch sounds about 90% similar to the original, which I'm satisfied with, but when I open up a new session and pull up the sampler and play the preset, it's much quieter and brighter. Also, the stereo panning is wider and more uneven. I much prefer the original sound. Why is it sounding pretty close in the original session but markedly different in the new session?

I've done a little "research" on the subject and had the midi-settings at 2.0, which improved the sound during the initial session as I sampled the synth. Also, the sampling settings were for every note, every key, with a 15 sustain. The original synth has a fixed velocity (regardless of the velocity of the midi note, it sounds the same on the synth), so I just had 1 velocity layer. I tried it with 3 layers, but it sounded better with 1.  Attached is a screenshot of the sampler settings:

Screenshot2024-03-12at5_03_18PM.thumb.png.0f3e2069b388d5f0bbe2e3841fd97cb0.png

I wanted to add sound samples to compare, but when I bounce the synth and its sample to mp3's, instead of being much quieter, the sampled one is slightly louder and slightly brighter (the brightness was more pronounced in the session). Also the stereo panning ceases to be an issue. Why is it sounding so different in the session?

In pretty much every case when you sample from a virtual instrument the sound is passing through a filter.  When the samples gets loaded into the Sampler its filter might be on by default.  It's been a while so I can't quite remember.

If that is the case, your samples are getting an extra filter thrown on top.

As a side note, something you may want to experiment is sample the synth with its filters off, take note of their settings, and attempt to replicate them in the sampler.  Be aware there might be some velocity or other kind off modulation control that you'd want to replicate too.

It won't be exactly the same, but leaves you more tonal flexibility in your new sample instrument.  Worthwhile trying at least.